Default What camera to buy?

I am looking to get my first 'decent' camera for a holiday I have coming up in Sri Lanka!

I have about 100-130 to spend on the camera itself. It needs to be something compact that will fit in my pocket. I have currently been considering the Fuji F300 EXR which I can get for 115.

I don't really know anything about cameras but have been told that Megapixels do not mean quality. So I would be really grateful for any advice on what is a good camera in my budget and more importantly why it would be a good camera, i.e. what specifications/features are important?

Many thanks in anticipation

Images

what type of pictures do you hope to take

"type" - this will show just how much of a newbie I am. I did not know there were types of pictures? unless you mean what will I be taking pictures of in which case, people and scenery on holiday. I intend to buy myself some kind of 'dummies guide to photography' to teach myself a few of the most important points but other than that I am a typical holiday happy snapper

Images

Looking at your budget I would look at this site and loo at the equipment guide go to compacts and then list from the highest rated you will see they range in price but there are a couple in your price range.
    Get a short list and go to a store and look at them get a feel and that may help in the final choice.

thanks for your reply, I have looked through the reviews already, there is no rating/review for the F300EXR, just a short article which does not really say whether it is good or not? can anyone tell me whether it is good for 115 new or whether I should get something else?

I have read some reviews for the F300 which arent' great but then they are reviewed on the basis of it being a 300 camera not a 100 one. and the reviews for the F200 EXR (lower model) are really good.

also what is the argument for and against getting cameras which have built in batteries and those which take AA bateries?

Many thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tavyabe View Post
    thanks for your reply, I have looked through the reviews already, there is no rating/review for the F300EXR, just a short article which does not really say whether it is good or not? can anyone tell me whether it is good for 115 new or whether I should get something else?

I have read some reviews for the F300 which arent' great but then they are reviewed on the basis of it being a 300 camera not a 100 one. and the reviews for the F200 EXR (lower model) are really good.

also what is the argument for and against getting cameras which have built in batteries and those which take AA bateries?

Many thanks
    Hi there,

I think you should be happy with the Fuji- I'm sure it'll make some lovely pictures in good conditions on holiday. I've owned an F70, which was pretty nice quality. If you don't need such a long zoom you might consider something like the Canon ixus 220 HS, which will probably be higher quality still. But at the price you've found you can't really go wrong...

A lithium battery will last longer and be lighter, but you can buy AA batteries in all sorts of obscure places where there's no way of recharging the other sort, so if you're off somewhere remote that might be useful.

Can I suggest you buy the May issue of WDC magazine and look at the accompanying mag called Digital Photography Techniques. It's full of great advice which will help you to take better pics. Happy snapping.