Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First DSLR, Canon 1100D, Nikon D3100, D5000 or somthing else

Hello all
    I need some advise please with what camera. I've had compact digitals and had an old 35mm years ago but this will be the first full DSLR. I've been looking at the Canon 1100D and the Nikon D3100 and D5000 but really dont know which. Even been looking at the Canon 500 + models. I've seen a deal for the D5000 with a 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens but it seems to be an old camera now.
    My requirments are for an all rounder but must be good in low'ish light as my girlfriend is into dog shows so will be taking pics indoors in low light and a flash cant really be used. I have been looking for deals that have a zoom lens included as to buy the camera with the standared 18-55 lens and add a zoom is going to go over my budget.

Any sugestions?
    Thanks
    Lee

Buying a twin lens kit does generally work out cheaper than buying the lenses separately, though there are drawbacks. You wonít have much choice in which lens is bundled, and as a rule itís the more basic entry level lenses that are offered Ė often with soon to be replaced bodies.
    This isnít necessarily a problem because even older DSLRs can offer a terrific feature set, and with the two lenses youíll have everything you need for most shooting situations. At a later date, if finances allow, you may want to upgrade the lenses to premium quality versions with faster AF and wider maximum apertures, but these tend to cost more on their own than the entire camera and two lens packages youíre looking at. In the meantime a twin lens kit is a good start point. I was unable to find a Canon EOS 1100D twin lens kit at the time of going to press, though I did find the Canon EOS 500D. Although still a good camera its a bit old now and you can do better. Here are three other twin lens kit options worth a look. Of the three, if pushed, I'd probably go with the Nikon.

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewPro...SUBCAT_CODE=51
    with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses

It may be Nikonís entry level model but itís packed with high end features that make it a better buy than the older D5000: higher resolution, higher ISO range, better video mode and bigger, better screen. Its small, light, and its great Guide Mode makes it ideal for novices. Only the D5000ís vari-angle screen is lacking.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...enses/p1522180
    with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses

Revolutionary technology in this new Sony gives it the best high speed burst shooting and fastest AF (both stills and video) in its class. Its secret is a fixed mirror and electronic rather than optical viewfinder (EVF). It might not be to your teatse so try it first. Sony offers several http://www.warehouseexpress.com/digi...By=0&ShowAll=1 with conventional DSLRs is this one is a bit too radical.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...enses/p1522427
    with 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses

The K-r is a solid budget option which, depite its price delivers good quality images and a fairly comprehensive feature set including Live View, HD movies, auto HDR mode, built in Anti-Shake and a 6fps burst mode. Unique in being able to run on AA batteries as well as Lithium Ion. Also available in white!

Images

Hi I would get a short list and then go and try them see how they feel. If it feels good to you then that goes a long way. I would look at deals on canons 550d now that the 600d is out

Nigel

Thanks for the info. Hopfully you got my email aswell.
    Im thinking of going with either Canon or Nikon as they seem the big players and have most options and lense (when I have the money for them :-) ) I have seen that Nikon have not got the 5100 so that may bring the price of the 5000 and 3100 down a bit. I shall make a list of what I want from it in the way of features and then go have a play in the shop with them.

thanks again

Images

I am in the same boat as you and have been deciding for what feels like months, I have done the shop visit and held cameras etc: my shortlist was the Nikon D3100, or the Pentax K-R .I quickly decided against the Canon 1100D due to it looking & feeling realy plasticky,(held a red one if that makes a difference) so I finally decided to go for the Pentax, Why? because it has a 920k dot lcd screen (compared with 230 for the Nikon) larger viewfinder area 96% compared to 95, a larger imaging sensor, it can shoot twice as fast in burst mode 6 fps vs 3 it has more cross type focus points (whatever they do) 9 vs 1, better iso range and the lenses are cheaper than Nikon both new and 2nd hand due to them not needing VR built in, the only place the D3100 is better is in the video department and brand name kudos but I am buying a camera not a camcorder the Pentax's 720p-hd video recording will be fine for me.

Iíve decided its going to be Canon but which one. For what im going to be doing with it I need a lens up 300mm. I have seen a few but the price of them plus the camera is putting it out of my budget at the moment. I then sore the 500D with a 18-55 and think it was a 70-300 both not stabilised. My question is will using it a full zoom (300mm) without any image stabilisation cause me any issues in getting shots without any shake in them. I've been told out doors should be fine but the indoor stuff im going to do with no flash im not sure.
    Is the 500D a bit old now to look at as there is the 550D, 600D and 1100D out all which are newer? If not is the 500D with the above 2 lenses for approx £599 a good price?

Thanks

Lee

Hi Lee. First let me say that I wouldn't consider using any lens with a zoom up to 300mm without any form of Image Stabilisation, don't forget that with a DX sensor this will equate to 450mm so now you see what I mean! Ok in very bright sun, but in low light you'll be needing higher ISO speeds for faster shutter speeds, and even then you might find the shutter speeds are not fast enough to give you sharp pics. Nikon use VR (vibration reduction) and Sigma lenses use IS (image stabilisation). I wouldn't be without it and my advice would be for anyone to ensure that they have this capability. All the best, Mike.

canismajor

Thanks for that. That was my thought / fear. That does give me a problem in that the canon lens of the size I need is around £450 mark. Even if I went for the 1100D at around £450 thatís £900 which is far more than I have or planned for. This is the dilemma I have. The 500 with both lenses and see how it goes or possibly go for the 550 with the 18-55 and save for the better lens but that could take a long time. Nothing is ever simple is it

Well I've done it. Got the Canon 550D twin kit with the 18-55 and 55-250. I've been going nuts taking photos at the moment and love it. The quality compared to all the cameras I've used before is outstanding. Im still trying to get my head around all the options and features.
    Im finding getting shutter speed, aperture and iso matched right for the photos im taking which does not have the best light a challenge.
    Im getting a lot of shots with iso 3200. is this good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ltodd2 View Post
    Well I've done it. Got the Canon 550D twin kit with the 18-55 and 55-250. I've been going nuts taking photos at the moment and love it. The quality compared to all the cameras I've used before is outstanding. Im still trying to get my head around all the options and features.
    Im finding getting shutter speed, aperture and iso matched right for the photos im taking which does not have the best light a challenge.
    Im getting a lot of shots with iso 3200. is this good or bad.
    Hi Lee. 3200 ISO you say?, well it all depends on how the image is in terms of sharpness. Ok in small prints but how does it look when magnified at 100%?. Again it all depends on what you want to do with your pics, if you're happy with say 6x4 prints, then the ISO shouldn't be a major concern. But if you've got a stunner that you would like at A4, then what is the resolution like then?. Some cameras produce great pics at 20,000 ISO, but they use full frame sensors.Jim Brandenburg took at fab shot at this speed under moonlight, handheld, and it's very sharp. So, in summary, it depends on how big you need your pics to be, all the best,Mike.