Images

Question Storing copies of photos

Hi Everyone, advice please on how to store extra copies of my photo's, at the moment I only store them on my laptop but I am very concerned I ought to have extra copies on a stick or an external hard drive. I do have and take a lot of photo's so any advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks travelbug

Default Storing copies of photos

Hi, to save you waiting around for answers, have a look through this thread on Amateur Photographer http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk.../page/0#969743

I've made some suggestions on there as well

Regards

Chris

Images

I have an external hard drive easy to setup with raid 5 so thats protected too.

Images

Hi Chris, thanks for the advice, will look it up very shortly, travebug
    Last edited by travelbug; 28-03-11 at 08:07 AM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    I have an external hard drive easy to setup with raid 5 so thats protected too.
    Hi Wave, many thanks for the advice, I hope to buy an external hard drive soon, travelbug

Hard drives can be pretty robust pieces of kit, lasting the lifetime of your compact, but should they suffer a knock – especially problematic with a laptop, then the sensitive internal mechanism inside can get damaged, making it impossible to retrieve your data.

Having only a single copy of your images is incredibly risky as hard drives can and do fail. Just imagine how you’d feel if you lost all of your images? Our advice is to invest in an external hard drive, which you can then use to mirror your hard drive on your laptop, so if one should fail, then you’ll at least have a back-up and your images will be safe.

An external hard drive needn’t cost the earth either, with a 500GB 2.5in USB-powered (no external power source is required) costing under £60 – such as the Western Digital My Passport 500GB drive, while 1TB drives can also be snapped up for under £100. For the small outlay, it’s worth the extra piece of mind that these drives offer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hall View Post
    Hard drives can be pretty robust pieces of kit, lasting the lifetime of your compact, but should they suffer a knock – especially problematic with a laptop, then the sensitive internal mechanism inside can get damaged, making it impossible to retrieve your data.

Having only a single copy of your images is incredibly risky as hard drives can and do fail. Just imagine how you’d feel if you lost all of your images? Our advice is to invest in an external hard drive, which you can then use to mirror your hard drive on your laptop, so if one should fail, then you’ll at least have a back-up and your images will be safe.

An external hard drive needn’t cost the earth either, with a 500GB 2.5in USB-powered (no external power source is required) costing under £60 – such as the Western Digital My Passport 500GB drive, while 1TB drives can also be snapped up for under £100. For the small outlay, it’s worth the extra piece of mind that these drives offer.
    Hi Phil, yes I was very concerned I could loose all my pictures so I have bought a Western Digital hard drive 1 TB, cost was just under £70 so I was well pleased with that! many thanks for you advice, travelbug