Images

Smile Constructive Criticism Please

Hi,
    I'm new to the site and currently saving to get a decent DSLR camera. I have been up till now using a Fuji Finepix J30 - very basic. I have posted some shots to the gallery and competitions and would appreciate some constructive criticism of the shots from more experienced photographers, given my limited equipment. I hope that this will help me to get better more professional shots when I eventually get a DSLR.
    Thank you to any of that actually do this.

Steve Fraser
    Beginner

Images

Unhappy Lack of response

Hi again,

Thank you to graham_C the only person to bother with helping out here.

Images

Hi and welcome I have looked at your shots and to me they look ok. I always take my hat off to people who do wildlife they must be so dedicated to wait for hours to get the right shot.
    To get a DSLR then it will improve things for you, but you must also look at getting some long fast glass to go with it.. So when you are looking you must factor this in to your budget. Good luck

Images

Hi Steven,

Thanks for posting in the forums and sorry for the lack of an immediate reply from any of the editorial team.

If you'd like to send over any images you'd like a critique of to my email (paul_nuttall@ipcmedia.com) I'd happily take a look at them.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Steve I'm finding my way around this site very slowly indeed..I still use Fuji Slide film and scan for best results..Steam driven I know but more reliable, great colours, less contamination. Have had terrible problems with dirty sensor on my D70.I believe this site is computer run and not regulated or administrated by a human being until there are reported problems. I have just reported that one picture has over 4k viewings in 4 days !!!
    My advice to anyone starting ouT is learn the basics with an old film SLR and read the old magazines that concentrate on camera, not computer techniques.. Kind Regards..David

Thumbs up constructive criticism

Hi Steve. Well done for taking such great images with your camera. From your subject matter I'm guessing that you live in a location many would give an arm for who are interested in wildlife. The shot of the Chaffinch with its wings outspread over the bird table is very good, as is the night shot of the Kingfisher!, how the heck did you get that one I ask enviously?.
    The pic of the Leverette and rabbit would have been more successful if red-eye had not been present, but still great shots. Do you use any editing stuff such as the free download Picasa 3?. I use it and it's dead easy just to click on the red eye and make it disappear. If you ever upgrade to a more serious DSLR then watch out all you wildlife photographers!!!. Well done Steve.

Images

Thank you to all who have been now offering advice, I do work and live in a wonderful area full of exciting prospects of wonderful shots and look forward to posting some of them when I eventually get some decent equipment.
    As to comments that this site is not checked by staff, I can assure you it is andthat they take a keen interest in what is going on on here, as the publication of my rabbit shot in a recent magazine showing how to remove red eye shows.
    Hope to post some more images soon