Thread: Digiscoping.

Question Digiscoping.

am about to buy my first DSLR mainly for wildlife photography, so I need a good telephoto lens. Am I better getting a good 400/500mm lens possibly with a teleconvertor, or attach the camera to my scope with a fixed x30 magnification. This will obvioulsy give me a better reach, but will the image suffer if attached to a scope? Hope someone out there can help.

Images

Hello and welcome to the forum. Can you tell me what you camera your looking at and what scope, you have....graham

Default Digiscoping

Hi Graham,
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry for delay in responding, but my internet connection is playing up.
    I am thinking of purchasing a Nikon D3100. My scope is a Viking V80 with 30x eyepiece. Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Rae

Images

Hi . This is a no brainer . You are getting a d3100 and already have a viking v80 scope. All you need now is a dslr adaptor and a maybe a t mount. I would get the adaptor and use the scope. You will need to shoot in manual mode and may experience 1 or 2 exposure problems ,but once you sort them out you won't lose any quality, in fact it may enhance it. I use an opticron mm2 scope hooked up to a panasonic fs10 and the photos i'm getting for the money i spent awesome. You could also try the bird watching forums. Im a member of it and the dslr spotters will keep you right... graham

Smile Digiscoping

Hi Graham,
    Many thanks for your very clrear and helpful response. Looks as if I will get a better image and save myself about 900. Have booked myself onto a day long wildlife photography course at my local RSPB reserve, will also take your advice and look up some of the bird watching forums.
    Thanks again, Regards, Rae:

Images

Hi tiatn Exciting times ahead for you. The rsbp shoot sound great. Remember to post some of your photos... good luck... graham