Red face Canon or Nikon -EOS 550d, 60d or D90? - Help please

Hi all,

I am hoping for some advice as i am going around in circles.

I am inexperienced in photography, but it is something that i really want to take up. I want to buy some decent kit that will be relatively future proof and will allow me to grow with the camera.

I would like to use the camera for (in order of preference) :-
    Indoor shooting (museum exhibits, architecture etc)
    Landscapes
    Sport (Archery -arrow flight, golf, karate)
    Portraits
    Panoramic views
    Video clips (preferably HD)
    My budget for the camera and a lens (std' kit lens ok for now) is about 650. I would consider 2nd hand kit if there was some warranty or in your experience a model that will last for another 3-5 years.

The models i have considered so far are the Nikon D90, Canon EOS 550d and 60d.

Any guidance would be warmly received.

Images

Hi the first thing I would say is that although the d90 is a fine camera it is a couple of years old now and video is not as good as the canons.
    Looking at the 2 canons either will do what you want the 550d is cheaper and with that you can put the money saved towards an extra lens or an external flash, the built in one is not good enough for the shoots you want to take.
    Both cameras offer high ISO for low light but the 60d is heavier and has a better body. That said I have the 550d and it travels the world with me without a problem. I would also conceder the new 600d as it will still be cheaper than the 60d, and may also make the 550d cheaper.
    If you haven't already then go and physically look and touch the cameras this may influence your decision. Last i always say remember you are buying into a system so check what is available to you . Good luck

Wave,

Many thanks for your reply!

My only concern with the 550d is the 3.7fps spped and whether that will be fast enough to cpature arrow flight etc, hence looking at the 60d (+5fps).

Have you been able to take fast action shots on your 550d?

Images

Hi is this fast enough lol taken with 18-55 lens
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lol very good - fast arrows - of a sort! thats an impressive shot and i am now thinking about the 550d and investing in a fixed 50mm lens and a decent zoom. WCould you recomend any good zoom lenses?

Images

Hi this was my first DSLR for many years so I had nothing. I got the 550d with the kit lens 18-55is my next purchase was a external flash. For lenses I went for the EFS55-250is its light and easy carry and not a bad range and has good IQ for the price. I added at the same time the 50mm 1.8. Its canons lightest lens its is plastic but it is such a bargain price, and a bag to carry it all need to keep it safe. That my kit I am well pleased with it, I have carried the 55-250 around the disney parks all day its never seemed heavy. Good Luck

Default canon 550d is fantastic

There is no question that both cameras have a certain merit. However, may be a bias opinion but the Canon 550D performs at a professional level for a bargain basement price. Check out the http://www.canon550d.co.uk/specifications/, it is extensive to say the least and rivals camera that are over 4 times the price. What I would suggest though if you do purchase the canon 550d, is that you consider upgrading the lens to the canon 50mm f1.8. Your image quality will improve vastly if you do this.

Fiftyfivedee, thanks for the advice, i have been looking at the fixed 50mm lens and it is definatley on my to buy list!