Thread: First Time DSLR

Default First Time DSLR

Hi there,

Looking to leave the world of digital compacts and explore DSLR's

I have never really used a DSLR before but do like to tinker with the manual settings on my compacts I have owned (Canon A630 + Samsung WB600) I know that this is no way the same

DSLR's I have been looking at are the Nikon D3100, D5000 and Canon D500 if going brand new.

Don't mind going second hand but have NO IDEA where to start.

Things I will be taking photos of are 3yr old child, nature, landscapes, festivals and wouldn't mind some macro shots. (I live by the sea so would like to take some of the sea/waves and of people surfing)

Won't be taking many if any shots of sports and if I did I wouldn't be worrying too much about it (esp initally)

I have around 600 to spend but will increase this if I have to but not by much.

I honestly have no idea about anything in this world and have read loads of reviews but still no clearer.

If anyone can give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance,

Doug

Images

Hi I would go with the canon 500d but look and see if the 550d drops now that the 600d has been announced. The canon has the better AF. It comes with a 18-55IS lens which isn't bad for a kit, for landscapes it a reasonable start and will take good shots of the children. Once you get used to it then you can think what else you may need later.
    Remember with a DSLR you are buying into a system so make sure it meets your needs

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    Hi I would go with the canon 500d but look and see if the 550d drops now that the 600d has been announced. The canon has the better AF. It comes with a 18-55IS lens which isn't bad for a kit, for landscapes it a reasonable start and will take good shots of the children. Once you get used to it then you can think what else you may need later.
    Remember with a DSLR you are buying into a system so make sure it meets your needs
    Hi Wave,

After going to the Jessops today and hadling a couple of the camera's I think I prefer the Canon's over the Nikons now purely on the feel/size of them. Need to go and play again and hopefully the store will have the batteries charged next time!

After reading around some more on here and elsewhere I have found that everyone agree's that it is better to spend more on lenses and get a cheaper body... because I would be buying into a system I take it I would be better off now deciding if I prefer Canon or Nikon!

As I thought I was going to be getting a Nikon I looked at Nikon lenses today and shortlisted these:

18-55mm & 55-200mm VR Kit Lenses
    35mm f/1.8 AF-S Lens

Would the above be good choices for a begginer starting out? Is there one's you would recommend over these or one I could do without?

Getting the above with the D3100 would have pushed me over my 600 limit but if it was worth it I would have done it... with the 550D now being mentioned I can imagine me going over even more!

Can anyone suggest similar lenses for Canon mounts? Or should I change one etc etc...

Sorry for all the questions and cheers for the help!

Images

for canon a good set up but also not break the bank would be EFS55-250IS a good lens light and made for APS-C sensor I would add to this the 50 1.8. This would be a good starting point