Default DSLR with 50mm lems

I really want a digital camera with a 50mm lens, so what I see is what I actually take a picture of. But they all seem to come with a 24mm lenses, the compacts at least, but even DSLRs too. I am used to using a manual SLR and want that level of control. Would a zoom lens do the job well enough? I want to be able to do relatively close up things, as well as landscapes. What's my cheapest option to achieve this? Appreciate your advice.

Hi and welcome

In the old days most SLR's came with a 50mm lens for the reasons you state. However, with the improvement in zooms and customer demand, most now come with the stock zoom lens, something like 18mm to 55mm.

With a DSLR with a slightly smaller sensor, there is a multiplying factor of around 1.5 that makes the 18mm a 27mm (equivalent) and the 55mm a 82.5mm (equivalent) . http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...tiplier_01.htm

Always worth starting with the stock lens, then moving onto a (35 mm = 52mm) (equivalent)) prime lens that is usually very fast, around F1.8.

There are some very good zooms out there, especially Sigma, so do look around and read the reviews.

Regards

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Cool; 06-02-11 at 03:22 PM.

Images

Hi I got my canon T2i/550d with the kit lens 18-55 but soon got the 55-250 zoom for the longer reach and the 50mm1.8 made up what I conceder a reasonable starting set up, plus a nissin di622 flash.
    The canon kit 18-55 isnt a bad lens as kit ones go so as already said its a good starting point, then make your mind up later

Default 50 mm Lens

As a newbie here I am posting this as a test, partly to see wether the Logon name I chose is accepted by the moderators... I use CanonRebel frequently but it may be against the Guidelines of this site.... Please let me know How I can Change it.... (After posting I will try the Moderator flag button myself....

I completely agree with Catharine's view that the Canon 18-55 mm lens is sub standard. I soon moved to the 28-130mm and am very happy with it... except that it is a bit heavier to carry around your neck.

I also agree with Siuya on the 35mm issue to get 50mm view, but do not dismiss the 50mm Prime lenses for both Canon and Nikon (I cannot speak for the rest :-(

The 50mm lenses, at least for these two brands are great, at F/1.4 or F/1.8. You may have to zoom with your feet or crop a bit, which is not much of a problem with a high MP camera. The price/quality ratio of the 50mm lenses are simply unbeatable.

As already stated, a 50mm lens on APS-C DSLRs (ie most DSLRs sub 1500) would give you a slightly telephoto effect of around 75mm equivalent. To get the same approx perspective as the human eye on a digital SLR you'd need something around 35mm.
    Most DSLRs come with a zoom that goes from 18mm to 55mm, so you'd need to set it to around the mid-point to get the perspective you're after. As has been pointed out, kit zooms don't tend to offer the best optical quality but they're cheap. Either a fixed prime lens or a better quality zoom is preferable if you can afford one.