Images

Default Canon eos 500d, Pentax kr or Nikon d5000

Very simply my question which is the best??? I want a good all rounder which is very good for sports photography, can take good video & is easy to use bearing in mind this is my first step into the world of DSLR. I have narrowed my search down to these 3 but I just cannot make up my mind. Thanks in advance Padraig.

I have the D5000 and think it is great but owners of the Canon and the Pentax will tell you theirs is great. So look at some of the reviews and make up your own mind or go to a shop and handle them. They are all good cameras but there will be a deal breaker in there somewhere for instance I wanted a swivel rear screen for low down / high up difficult shots. I would not buy a DSLR for video filming as none of them are as good or resourceful as a camcorder.My Daughter has a relatively cheap Fuji pocket camera which does video very near the quality of my Nikon. My wife's Sony digicam does it better than both.One thing Nikon does well, is it has a ? button that tells you what a certain function does,also other functions have a graphic showing the effect of say + - exposure, this can help newbies. Perhaps Canon and Pentax have the same ,I dont know.
    Good luck and enjoy your search
    Last edited by Will54; 03-02-11 at 09:31 PM.

Images

Hi what you need to do is go and do the touchy feely thing see how you get on with them. If you want to to sport then you will have to think in terms of a long zoom with fast glass and good burst rate and quick AF. All this will add to the price

Images

Went & done the touchy feely thing & still can't decide. The Pentax is the most comfortable to hold I find the Canon and the Nikon a little bulky, however like the idea of the on screen help for the Nikon 3100. I have heard a lot of good things about the Pentax but obviously because it is a lot of money I want to make sure I make the right choice for my needs. Any help greatly appreciated.

thats simple just check out this website:
    http://www.alivetrading.com/m~c-digi...ras~b-402.aspx

Images

Looking at what you take pictures of start thinking about the price of lenses and what available for sport you will need a long zoom thats fast so see if that helps your decision

Wave is dead right about the lenses,I originaly went over to Nikon because at the time Canon didn't do the lens I wanted, prior to that I had always been a Canon man.
    I would not go back to Canon easily now as I have got to love Nikons , after sales is very good also.

Each has camera has its pros and cons but if sport is your main thing I'd be inclined to go for the Pentax –mostly because it does 6 frames per second, which is double the 3fps of the Nikon almost double the Canon's 3.4fps. As the newest camera in the group the Pentax also has the highest spec in areas such as ISO, which goes up to 25,600 (though I wouldn't use it at that setting unless you have to!).

The EOS 500D is now 2 generations old (EOS 550D and 600D) and is about to be discontinued. Despite this it still delivers the best video (Canon dominates in this field) while the Nikon is the weakest in this area. The D5000 does that have that vari-angle screen, which makes it good for nature and macro shooters.

Images

Wink ricky

Quote Originally Posted by padraigr View Post
    Very simply my question which is the best??? I want a good all rounder which is very good for sports photography, can take good video & is easy to use bearing in mind this is my first step into the world of DSLR. I have narrowed my search down to these 3 but I just cannot make up my mind. Thanks in advance Padraig.
    hi,i own a eos 500d and the video is the slowest of the three, sometimes it is slightly jerky as it records HD at just 20fps.and continuous shooting is only 3.4fps. picture quality is very good.. However i would strongly suggest that you go and play with them to see which best suites your needs.
    have fun ; )