Default Tamron 18-270 zoom

I wonder if any of you have tried the new Tamron 18-270mm zoom and if so what do you think of it? I'm thinking about it as a general purpose lens for my Nikon D5000 as I currently have just the 18-55 kit lens. I'm attracted to it because it is relatively light, other wise I'd go for the nikon 18-200mm but think I might struggle with the weight.

Thanks,
    IzzyB

Just to clarify, I mean the very latest one which has 15 x zoom and weighs only 425g. Bit pricey - 650 - more than my camera!

18-270 f3.5-6.3 Di II C PZD

IzzyB

I have the nikon 18-200mm which weighs 560g, not a great deal heavier plus I dont bother with the lens hood because I use my hand to shield the Sun. I find it a great lens but imho I would not bother with buying the latest version with the lens lock, as it is exactly the same as the older version in every other way.The lens lock only works when the lens is fully closed so you have to remember to unlock it before shooting also the older version is cheaper.The Tamron gets good reviews and there are comparison review sites where you can compare them.What I would do and did, is go to a dealer and ask to try out both lenses ,then takes the same shots with both lenses ,that will tell you all you need to know.For what it's worth I read on a forum recently of a guy who got rid of the Tamron and bought the Nikon but I think it's horses for courses and the extra reach of the Tamron might be important to you. Have a look on Steves Digicams, there's loads about this subject there.
    I did it with the Nikon 18-200mm against a different lens though.
    Good Luck

Just as a matter of interest
    I have been looking at a review of the Tamron 18-270mm and the biggest issue appears to be it's fairly slow at focusing and not recommended for sports or fast moving shots.
    Maybe that's not an issue for you.

Thanks,
    I had a look, but many of the reviews seem to refer to the previous version of the 18-270, not the new one with Piezo mechanism.

I found some useful info on this forum:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37395015

which is generally positive, though some problems with the Vibration Compensation. I guess no zoom lens is going to be perfect.

I'm probably not going to be doing sports or fast-moving photography. I'm mainly interested in landscapes & nature close-ups.

Will probably wait till more reviews are available!

Isobel

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyB View Post
    Thanks,
    I had a look, but many of the reviews seem to refer to the previous version of the 18-270, not the new one with Piezo mechanism.

I found some useful info on this forum:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37395015

which is generally positive, though some problems with the Vibration Compensation. I guess no zoom lens is going to be perfect.

I'm probably not going to be doing sports or fast-moving photography. I'm mainly interested in landscapes & nature close-ups.

Will probably wait till more reviews are available!

Isobel
    The piezo version is a new lens so im sure reviews are on the way. Im certainly interested in a 'all-in-one' lens.