Default want to buy new all round compact camera

Hi guys.

My first post here....

I am lookking to buy a new compact digital camera to replace my trusty old fuji finepix f710 which I've for about 6 years. Its getting a little bit outdated now (altho it still takes a nice pic, but low resolution)

I have a budget of upto around 200, but dont mind spending a little more if needs must.

I want a decent all rounder, for taking portraits / family shots holiday pics and quick shots of the pets

I've been searching the web looking at reviews but im getting a bit confuzzled.....theres loads more to choose from now then when I bought my last one.

I've been drawn towards the lumix TZ / canon powershot range, but then someone else will say go for a nikkon of a fuji.

I'm not too bothered about video recording, but would like something with decent picture resolution, decent optical zoom (dont need anything huge tho) facial recognition, and something that is quite good in low light....

Any recomendations ?
    thanks alot

Ok so after more research on different models, I have slightly narrowed down the search.....
    I am now looking at....

Panasonic lumix TZ 7/8/9/10
    Ricoh cx3
    samsung wb600/650
    Fuji finepix f70 / f80 / f200 / f300 exr
    cannon IXUS (cant remember models)
    Nikkon s8000

Any opinions ?

Default New Compact

I have a Fuji F200EXR which takes very good pictures; this has now been updated to either the F70EXR or the longer-zoomed F300EXR. It can be a little complicated, but there are simple settings if you don't want to get into the Menus.

I also have a Canon SX120IS which is brilliant (since updated to the SX130IS with a wider lens) but a little bit mote chunky than the Fuji. I find that the 10x zoom is really handy, and can even get good pictures using the digital zoom when necessary.

Images

Thumbs up

I have just taken the plunge from a Lumix FZ28 to my first DSLR Canon EOS 550D. Before that I had a Canon Powershot point and shoot. I decided to go for a bridging camera before taking the (expensive) plunge into a DSLR. The Lumix was fantastic...I cannot praise it enough. Even if you just use Auto you would have fab photos, but it has so many settings to suit all occasions, it is so easy to use and the results are wonderful - from portrait to action, landscapes to macro...a really good all round camera....Look up the prices it should be within your range by now. I only used mine for 18 months and it inspired me to take up a basic photography course and to upgrade to a "proper camera". I'm sure you could get a good deal on a second hand one.
    Best of luck and happy snapping
    Joanne VP (Mammarazzi)