Hybrid View

Default Shutter lag/shutter speed ? new camera needed

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would be greatful of some advice please.

Im looking to buy a new compact camera, under 100 preferably. This will be to take pics of my young children. Could you please recommend a few compacts that will help me capture those memorable moments instead of the back of their heads(as I do with old samsung 250). At first I thought this would be down to shutter speed, but after reading up I now believe it may be the shutter lag. I know you only get what you pay for but any good advice would be welcomed.
    Other features I require are:

* reliable
    * Good in darker environments (for discos etc)
    * good for continuous shots
    * takes a decent pictures for the family album
    * maybe has an auto mode so you don't have to try 10 different modes before you select the right one to get a decent pic

*I'm not bothered about its videoing capabilities, if any.

I was looking at the cannon 490, for fifty pound, will this do the job?
    Again any recommendations will be much appreciated. as there are so many models to chose from.
    Thanx

Images

Hi the a490 is quiet a good camera for its price point. But to get what you want you will have to use other settings apart from auto. Whether this camera is good in the dark I dont know for that you need a high iso and a wide apature lens. I still think the a490 is a good camera

Thanks for input, I ended up buying a lumix F30 for 118, which I thought a bargain from my own research. My journey begins........, thanks again !