Hybrid View

Images

Default Lens For Nikon D5000

Hi im thinking of Buying a Nikon d5000.My previous camera was a Nikon p30 24x zoom.
    Ive tried out the d5000,with a Nikor 50m-200mm but it doesnt seem much difference than the standard Lens, 28m-55m.
    Ive been spoiled with the 24x zoom (I know the quality must be much better,as with the p30 my shots are very Grainy)
    I was thinking of buying Body Only and only one lens 28-300mm maybe?
    Ive looked at the package deals i.e John Lewis (Cant buy Body only here!) and the Jessops Deal,but the lens to me might not satisfy my previous experiances of the 24x zoom.
    So im confused! Am I obsessing about the zoom to much? or does anyone think that I can just have One lens ? If so which One?
    I would be very gratefull on any advice....as Im ready to buy the Nikon d5000.
    I thank you in advance for any replies...Cheers...

Images

Default 5000

Hi roryliam.. Wnen i upgraded to a 5000 I bought it body only. I upgraded from a nikon d60 and had some lenses.As to your question is one lens enough ,it all depends on the photos you will be taking. If you take landscapes you will want a wide angle. If you shoot in low light you will need a fast lens 1.8 and so on . Sigma do a 70 300 4.5 -5.6 os hsm lens for just under 300. that gets good reviews...graham

Images

Default Thanks

Hey Graham Thanks for that....

I have the D5000 plus the nikor 18-200mm VR lens which being a VR lens lets me get some pretty good hand held low light shots, especially as the high ISO is quite good on the D5000. It's not a fast lens compared to a 1.8 but with the 1.8 you will get a very shallow depth of field which isn't always desirable. For getting close up to birds you would probably need a prime 400mm lens .I rely on 200mm plus cropping in photoshop which while not being so good does work to some extent.
    I would go to a shop and try the combo out, you will soon find out if you like it or not.
    I love mine.
    There are forums/review sites where you will find pics taken with the 18-200mm by the way it's the equivalent to 28mm -300mm in film.
    Also the new version has a zoom lock on it which locks the zoom when in, personally I wouldn't pay the extra for that feature because you have to remember to unlock it all the time, other than that the lenses are the same.
    Mine doesn't creep but some do .I've had mine for 18 months.
    Last edited by Will54; 19-12-10 at 03:56 PM.

Images

Default Lenses for D5000

I bought my D5000 with the 18-55 VR kit lens and the Nikkor 55-300 f4.5/5.6 G ED VR which was under 280 on Amazon and gives a better overall match for my needs over my old manual focus 80-200mm. Personally I wished I had bought body + 18-105 and 55-300mm which is a good range for all but ultrawide and closeup wildlife. I know a few people have gone for the Sigma DC 3.5-6.3/18-200 OS HSM and are very happy with the results, especially as this lens is similar spec but much cheaper than the Nikkor.

Good luck with your choice.

Images

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stefan.zait View Post
    I bought my D5000 with the 18-55 VR kit lens and the Nikkor 55-300 f4.5/5.6 G ED VR which was under 280 on Amazon and gives a better overall match for my needs over my old manual focus 80-200mm. Personally I wished I had bought body + 18-105 and 55-300mm which is a good range for all but ultrawide and closeup wildlife. I know a few people have gone for the Sigma DC 3.5-6.3/18-200 OS HSM and are very happy with the results, especially as this lens is similar spec but much cheaper than the Nikkor.

Hey Thanks for that....

Quote Originally Posted by stefan.zait View Post

I had a Sigma 18-300mm once and took it back when I was with Canon, because it over exposed every shot. So I've since been nervous of third party lenses but perhaps things are now better hopefully. Once bitten twice shy I'm afraid but perhaps I was just unlucky.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by will54 View Post
    i have the d5000 plus the nikor 18-200mm vr lens which being a vr lens lets me get some pretty good hand held low light shots, especially as the high iso is quite good on the d5000. It's not a fast lens compared to a 1.8 but with the 1.8 you will get a very shallow depth of field which isn't always desirable. For getting close up to birds you would probably need a prime 400mm lens .i rely on 200mm plus cropping in photoshop which while not being so good does work to some extent.
    I would go to a shop and try the combo out, you will soon find out if you like it or not.
    I love mine.
    There are forums/review sites where you will find pics taken with the 18-200mm by the way it's the equivalent to 28mm -300mm in film.
    Also the new version has a zoom lock on it which locks the zoom when in, personally i wouldn't pay the extra for that feature because you have to remember to unlock it all the time, other than that the lenses are the same.
    Mine doesn't creep but some do .i've had mine for 18 months.
    great thanks for the advice...