Thread: New DSLR camera

Default New DSLR camera

Hello
    I have finally decided to take the plunge and invest in my first dslr camera and would be grateful for any advice they may be offered. I want it for general usage but I also have a particular holiday in mind - I am going to norway (tromso) next year and hope to get some great landscape shots and also capture the northern lights.
    I have done some reading but I am struggling to make up my mind which package is best, particularly with regards to my lens requirements - I have reduced my options down to nikon
    (d3100 or d5000) or canon (eos450d or 500d) which are at the top end of my my budget (actually over it but needs must). The lenses of course will be a further major expense which makes it a big hit all at once, but am looking at a telephoto zoom (say 55-200) and (for the northern lights) a fast wide angle lens, say 28mm (f/2.8) max - I would like to go wider and faster but it is then out of my price bracket.
    I suppose I am edging towards nikon but I am a bit unclear which lenses work with which camera (auto-focus-wise).
    The cheap option of course would be to simply buy a wide angle lens for my existing film camera but I don't want to weighed down with tons of film.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated and not only with regards to the cameras I have mentioned above, I am simply looking for the best/most affordable package I can find.
    regards

It's been a while with no reply so here is my three penny worth.
    I have the D5000 plus the 18-200mm Nikor lens, which as the D5000 is being reduced now and so has the mark one 18-200mm as it has been superceded by a mark 2, which has a lock button otherwise is exactly the same and considering the lock only works when the lens is close in isn't a big deal, as it's something you have to remember to unlock.The D5000 flip out lcd can be useful for getting over the top of crowds /heads but it doesnt focus quickly and imho is best for still subjects photowise, as video its fine for moving subjects. You can do panoramic shots with the correct technique and stitch them together in photoshop elements so a wide angle can be achieved.
    The good thing is I dont have to swap lenses any more. High ISO helps a lot with low light so a fast lens isn't such a big deal. Think about your film camera being able to swap from iso 100 to iso 3200 in a jiff.On the D5000 there is a button which you can dedicate to one of a variety of things,
    it's called a function button, I have made mine iso,so I just press it and select what iso I want according to the subject. Also there is an optional "auto iso" setting which means that if you say, go into a church in low light and your choice of iso wont allow the shot to be successful, it will over ride your setting and you will get a good shot. Good luck with your choices.

Images

Hi it always difficult to say this is better or that is better. The canon eos500d has better iso and IMHO focus is faster. That said I would go and try them it may well make up your mind for you, it did for me. There is about 40 difference in body price of the 2 cameras now you need a lens. Looking I can see that theres a cash back on the 500d plus kit lens. Maybe that will help

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I have been edging towards the D5000 if any, though I guess I need to try them out first hand to finally decide.

Images

Default selling

Hey, kind of the opposite of the topic but does anyone know of any good websites or companies in the home counties that will buy cameras and kit for a reasonable price, i dont really want to use ebay.
    Anyone interested in a Panasonic lumix g1 pleae email marcus.myers@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marcusmyers View Post
    Hey, kind of the opposite of the topic but does anyone know of any good websites or companies in the home counties that will buy cameras and kit for a reasonable price, i dont really want to use ebay.
    Anyone interested in a Panasonic lumix g1 pleae email marcus.myers@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks
    There is a shop in Waltham Cross Hertfordshire called Bywaters or Digital Camera Exchange,I believe they use both names, they used to do part exchange, also Digital Depot in Stevenage Hertfordshire used to take decent gear in part exchange.I imagine they will offer you a price. Having said that I have sold both a digital camera and a film camera on ebay for more than either of these these two offered me at the time.
    I didn't have any problems personally but it's horses for courses I guess.

Images

Default new dslr....

Maybe take a look at the Nikon D90,good camera and now at bargain prices ! As for wide angle,unless you absolutely have to have autofocus,28mm ais lenses can be had in top condition on ebay for around the 100 mark.