Arrow Nikon D3100 or Canon EOS 500D

Hello!

I'm trying to choose between these two cameras:
    - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digita.../ref=de_a_smtd
    - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3100-.../ref=de_a_smtd

This is going to be my first DSLR, so I want something that isn't too expensive, but has sufficient features for me to be able to progress in my photography.

I don't really have any preference of brand, and although I can see the HD video being a benefit, i've heard it's not that great so I wouldn't make a choice between them solely on it. I can see some slight variation between the two cameras, like how recently they came out, a slight difference in price, megapixles, frames per second, etc, but I was hoping someone could give me their expert opinion, or tell me about their experiences with one of the cameras!

Thanks!

My two pennyworth is go to a shop and handle them both, you may well like one more than the other.
    Next look at the lenses of each, because you are buying into a system, so once you have the lenses it will be costly to change from one body to another.
    I bought into Nikon originally because Canon did not have the lens I wanted when I went digital, previously I had always had Canon film cameras.
    There are a variety of review sites for you to compare both cameras side by side.
    I think Nikon handles Chromatic Abberations(purple fringing) better than Canon but others may disagree.I think years ago with film there was more of a difference between Canon and Nikon than there is now.

Thanks for the reply! I've looked at some comparison websites, but I dont really understand what differences I should be paying attention to.

Images

Good advice go try both it may help you decide. Remember you are buying into system so check whats available for you in the way of lenses. Both cameras have good IQ the canon is a bit older the nikon has only been released a little while you need to check auto focus on the nikon as the dont have a motor i think

Quote Originally Posted by hendriksen123 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I've looked at some comparison websites, but I dont really understand what differences I should be paying attention to.
    The D3100 doesnt have an in body focus motor, as Nikon now build it into their lenses so unless you have older Nikon lenses this wont matter, you will need A/F S lenses. I have the D5000 which also has no in body A/F, it is in my Nikor 18-200mm though, and works very well.The D90 has inboard focussing and that is one of the reasons the body is dearer, so that people can use their existing older lenses but if you are starting out it ought not to be an issue.
    One thing you might like about the Nikon D3100 is that it has a help button( ?) so that you can call up help on a certain feature ,for example " auto Flash ", you press the (?) button then a brief description of what that feature does comes up. This can be useful to those new to DSLR.
    Maybe Canon has a similar set up, I dont know.These things do make people decide on one brand from another. What I did when I bought my D40x was this,I was thinking of getting an Olympus or a Nikon so went to a shop bought a memory card then took a few shots from the shop doorway with both cameras on my card, then I went home and looked at them on my PC. I tried to make the same shots with both cameras taking some inside the shop as well. This gave me a chance to use both of them . When I got home I prefered the Nikon so I went back to the shop and bought it. Before anyone chips in telling me it's not scientic, I fully realise this but it did help me make up my mind. Some cameras have a better out of the box set up but I compensated for this by using photo elements to get both as close as possible.I also found the Nikon to be more intuitive. Have a look at Ken Rockwells site.