Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Samsung NX10 or Nikon D3100?

hi,

first time poster so apologies if it's too basic a question.
    I've decided to invest in a good quality camera for the primary purpose of taking photos of my 2 young children. I expect a lot of the photos will be taken indoors and some outdoors, some portraits and some "action" shots of them running around.

I've been to a few shops for advice and the same 2 names keep on coming up; Samsung NX10 and Nikon D3100.
    I would be happy with either but before I spend my hard earned I would appreciate some advice.
    I've seen the Samsung at least 100 cheaper which is a consideration as it would give me money to spend on another lens. I know that there is a better range of lenses available for the Nikon but I don't envisage getting a huge collection.
    So, I suppose I'm asking which is the best camera for my needs, and would the extra outlay on the Nikon give me a significant benefit?
    Any advice welcome, I'm completely confused and going around in circles!
    Thanks!

Images

Hi The NX10 is a mirrorless camera as opposd to the d3100 which is a true DSLR. I would look at some reviews on both cameras go to shop look at them feel them.

Images

Hi mark here is a link for the samsung. http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10010402samsungnx.asp. If you are looking at the d3100 with a 18 55 package i think it is a great camera but a little over priced..graham

thanks Graham,

appreciate the advice... I have read every review I can find online and been to a few shops for a feel, trouble is I'm still
    nome the wiser.

I think I just need some advice on the Samsung - would it meet my requirements? or would I be better off with the Nikon, which is clearly a better camera?

particularly considering the Samsung is about 150 cheaper so would be easier on the pocket! or something totally different?!

Images

Hello mark.. As this is not strictly a dslr i read some reviews on it. This is only my opinion I think it is a good camera but the nikon is a better one. As for your next point will it meet your requirements. This is a hard one to answer. I think at the moment it should, but our hobby [passion ] grows with every photo you take or see. You might start taking photos of puppy's , and finish up with Asian tigers. Please let me know what photos you intend taking. At the moment i would say if your budget allows get the nikon. On a more practical side they have more lenses more models for upgrading [at a later stage] and are easier to sell when you upgrade... hope this helps graham

hi Graham,

thanks again... I do appreciate the advice (and time!).

I will initially be taking photos of my 2 young children - 1 is a newborn and the other is 18 months. The idea of getting decent photos of the kids growing up is what prompted me to want to invest in a decent camera. As you say, though, The hobby may well develop into more than that...

I am confused as to the Samsung would suit my needs, or I need something a bit better really, and the Nikon seems to be the best entry level DSLR.

Images

Hello again .. The samsung would be more than able to do your children's photos...
    If your shooting children you need to be fast.It sports a 1/4000 shutter speed and will take 3 to 10 per second. It comes with a 18 55 3.6 -5.6 lens. This is a standard kit lens same as the nikon. To get your 3 to10 fps in a dark room you may need a faster lens. But for outside in a sunny day it is more than capable Exposure modes are as good as the nikon. It does live view something the nikon doesn't have. I have only 2 concerns 1st is the electronic view finder never having used one i can't comment and the 2nd is the iso seem s quite poor100 to 3200. That will only come in to play if you need a fast shutter speed in a dark room something like a pop concert where the singer is moving fast and the lights are low There is an article in wdc xmas issue on page 77. From what I've read and seen it will be more than capable of taking your children's photos. If you start wanting to take other photos like landscapes you could get a suitable lens it will be quite proficient... good luck graham

Images

Sorry miss read your post The 2 cameras will take great photos of your kids The nikon has better options if you want to expand on your photos.

Images

IMHO I would go with the nikon, it will grow with you and to be honest theres a reason that SLR's have been around for over 50 years they work. Its a proven format and nikon has a large lens collection plus there are third party lenses too. Your only other option is to look at the offerings from the likes of canon pentax sony and olympus, they all have cameras in your price range

many thanks to both of you...

sorry but a follow on question; what would be a good comparable camera to the Nikon D3100 in the Canon / Olympus / Panasonic range? price up to 450 (if I'm going to spend 500 I might as well get the Nikon!!)