Thread: Macro

Images

Default Macro

World of confusion. For start I read some books and a lot of stuff on internet.
    First rule (Scott Kelby): TRIPOD. Ok, no problem, Second rule: macro lense. Hm... Sigma 150 2.8, Tamron 180 3.5, Canon 100 2.8?
    Specifications - at this point insignificiant. First i want to see some samples. Jump on www.pixel-peeper.com and big disappointment. Only few realy good pictures from Sigma 150. OK there are mix from everybody: profi and absolute beginners. Yes it is time to start read reviews.
    Canon 100 mm 2,8 IS USM L Macro, winner. Price: 750 EUR. But ... Basic macro rules: tripod+Auto Focus off. DO I realy need IS?
    Yes of course portrait photography. Insted to buy 2 lenses (Canon 100 mm MACRO+canon 135 f/2.0 L) i need only one.
    And than... Bryan Peterson. Long time: ignore flash, forget flash. And now... Simple prescription (without tripod). Ring flash: TTL+fastes flasy sync speed+smalest f stop!!!
    I realy want to see some full size samples with canon 100 mm 2.8 IS +ring flash made by hand and some samples made by canon 100 mm without IS +tripod. PL!

Images

Wink

Hi there if you want to see some full size examples of images taken with these lenses and a Ringflash I would suggest flickr as a good source. If you type in the lens etc and search everyone’s uploads it will bring up all the images that have been taken that way, I myself have done that a few times before purchasing new gear. The last being a Tamron 90mm macro lens. I hope this helps Happy snapping Aidy

Images

Default More macro help

Ok few more questions. MAcro tripod head? Viewfinder for macro? Opteka, Seagull?

If your on a tight budget you could always look at the Raynox DCR-150 for beginners or the DCR-250 for the more experienced photographer, these retail for roughly £30-£40 and give you a good magnification for macro shots.

Quote Originally Posted by mare View Post
    I realy want to see some full size samples with canon 100 mm 2.8 IS +ring flash made by hand and some samples made by canon 100 mm without IS +tripod. PL!
    The IS version wasn't out when I got my 100mm macro but I'd take a new one with IS any day of the week....even without the IS the new one has nicer bokeh (the out of focus areas) as it has more aperture blades and they are curved so the aperture is more circular than octagonal.

Either lens is likely to be sharp enough and have good enough drawing for most purposes. Same with AF speed....you're unlikely to hear complaints. What you might hear complaints about with the old non-IS lens is the gearing on the manual focus ring is a bit high and can make fine adjustments trickier than they should be.

Can't think of any full res shots I've got online where I used my 100mm on a tripod but have a few taken handheld with ringflash if it's any help:
    Blue tongued skink...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8984597...n/photostream/

Bearden dragon:

EXIF data should be intact for them

Quote Originally Posted by daft_biker View Post

Can't think of any full res shots I've got online.....
    Found one, although it's with my old camera....