Default Narrow down my shopping list?

Hi

I'm looking for a camera for general family use. Action shots of the family doing sports is key. I've seen friends SLR shots and have been very impressed. I'm also impressed with the system compacts with long zoom. I do want HD movie capability. I've got a short list - and although i know its very subjective, i would appreciate any feedback:

Finepix HS100 262
    Nikon P100 269
    Lumix FZ100 320
    Lumix G2 469
    Canon 500d 475

Thanks
    Graeme

Images

Hi and welcom. What type of sports do they do and what type DSLR and lens does your friend have this may help in giving advice

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    Hi and welcom. What type of sports do they do and what type DSLR and lens does your friend have this may help in giving advice

Hi, he has a Nikon DX40. The kids do swimming, karate and cycling. I know my question is very subjective......basically, as a non-professional and also not a serious amateur photographer....would the board recommend a compact system/bridge camera, or DSLR?
    Thanks

Images

Hi for indoor sports you need a fast lens this will put the price up. the 550d is better for low light if you can go that far.

Smile

hi Graeme
    i got the canon 500D
    just had a look at your short list
    like you said you wanted one for general use the 500D or the bigger 550D as wave said
    would do you just fine
    if your not looking to shot photos at high burst rates as thats the any thing i find some times wrong with the 500D it can some time miss a few shots when the buffer files up but besides that not a problem with it and ive had mine now over a year and half and had hours of fun
    and jessops just to name one place to buy one from have some great deals
    for the price
    but if like you said about action and you have the money i would say go for the 7D its nearly the same as the 550D but faster burst rates then both the other 2 models thats my next up grade the 7D
    hope thats some help
    russ
    Last edited by Blitz Photography & Prod; 14-11-10 at 06:23 AM.