Default good macro for nikon D5000

Any suggestions for a good macro lens for the Nikon D5000? I want it mainly for close-ups of flowers etc.

Thanks

Default macro

Hi Izzyb I am thinking on a macro as well. I'm looking at 3 at the moment a tokina 100mm asigma 105mm and a tamron 90. They are all under 400. Dont think they auto focus but you dont want auto focus on macro anyway. There is also a sigma 150mm costs about 580 that looks good. good luck graham.

I,ve just ordered the sigma 105

Hi Izzy. I bought the Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro lens which is superb, But I now wish I had gone for the 105mm or even bigger. Many macro subjects disappear if you get too close, so the extra distance between you and your subject is best served by a longer focal length lens like the 105mm.

Default Macro lenses

Hi Izzyb and to all in this forum.

Lenses I have had and my thoughts on them:

Sigma 105mm EX DG macro as my first dedicated macro lens, it was awful in every way, not very sharp and sluggush.

Tamron 90mm f2.8 DI SP. I enjoyed that lens and it was pin sharp and good contrast.

Nikon 105mm AF-S VRII f2.8. A truly great lens, sharpest by far, good contrast, good bokeh, a little heavy compared to the other two. VR is good if you use it as a general purpose lens as well as macro. AF-S is quick and precise but as others have mentioned it is necessary for macro work.

The Sigma 150mm macro gets good praise but I have not tested it; it would give you more working distance which is good for insects but not necessary for flowers.

I meant AF-S isn't necessary with Macro.... bad typing :~)