Default Flashgun problems - overexposure

I have a Canon 450D - with kit lens 18-55mm EF-S
    I recently added a cheap but functional Jessops 360 flashgun.

I recently did a shoot in a building ( ex photo studio )
    with plenty of office style Fluorescent lights ( loads of light )
    Things is after using my flashgun i found several images although came out generally well
    there were bits of the images that seemed very bright, white and washed out.
    I did use the flash direct on to the subject . The white/ washed out bits were mainly on the skin tone areas and seemed concentrated on one part of the image.

Should i have used the swivel adjustment of the Flashgun to bounce the light off the ceiling or the side wall. Did I need to use a diffuser or reflector. Maybe simply reduce the flash power.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Images

Flash takes some practise I always try not to use it directly but bounce if I can. How was your camera set up in Av mode then canons take reading and use flash to fill in look at this article
    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/
    What I do is set my camera prefs to stop the slow sync I have set to 60th to 200th. Can you post the picture so we can see

hi
    simon
    i was looking at getting a better flash then the built in pop up of my Canon 500D
    and i looked at the jessops own 360 one for the price
    but after reading some reviews i went and brought the Canon speedlite 430ex 2
    and i was just like your self doing some test shots with it on my cam my photos were comming out way to bright on some
    know i dont now does the jessops one talk well with the cam not being a canon flash
    as once i had sent all the settings right in side the cam flash menu and using the settings on the flash i got the photos taken after that much better
    could it be you have the power on the flash on full cus am i right the jessops one dont have a display on the back i might be wrong
    this is why i went for the high one then buying a own brand off jessops the 430x tells me how much power im using and how far the flash is going to reach to light up what im trying to take the photo of
    hope this all makes some sense to you m8
    russ

Images

the camera should use the e-ttl data and that should be automatic it should not over expose it maybe that it is set to manual

Images

Lightbulb

The great thing about digital photography (or one of them) is that immediate feedback allows you to experiment more easily with a flash. Having seen that some of the highlights were overexposed, it's simple enough to choose a higher aperture until the exposure's balanced.

Usually, a flash will allow you to alter the amount of light it's giving out. If your shots look too flat, the subject is too bright or the background too dark, you can underexpose with the flash. Distance is also very important, so you could move further away from the subject too.

Bouncing the flash off a neutral coloured wall will not only reduce the amount of flash light on your subject, but will also give a much more flattering appearance, as the effective light source (the wall or ceiling) is larger than the flash head.

The main thing is to experiment and see what works for you

I haven't got that camera or flash but I do have a nikon D5000 plus Nikon SB400 flash.
    What I find is the ISO I use makes a big difference. The higher the ISO the greater the flash effect.

What about standard room lights ( 40w, 60w or 100w ), Fluorescent lights.
    Office style lighting.

Can these cause a conflict with the flashgun?

Simon

Images

you have to set your white balance for the type of lighting but it should not affect the flash, but canon uses flash as fill in not the main source