Default Compact digicam for Pensioner

I'm trying to find a compact digital camera for my Dad. He's bought 2 in the last year but the buttons are too small, close together and indistinct to make them unusable. (Kodak - 3 tiny buttons butting up against each other along the top for power, flash and shutter. Black on a black background ?!&)

So - simple to use, good quality (shake reduction appreciated), good handling, budget around 100. Any suggestions?

I spent a few hours wandering the shed retailers on Sunday and the best i came up with was the Pentz Optio I-10. Power/Zoom/Shutter feel very distinct. Any other suggestions?

Images

Default unbump

Hi simonstill.. Sorry for not replying sooner . My son is downs syndrome and i have the same problem his fingers have problems with buttons, At the moment he is a fujifinepix 1500.I am currently looking for a compact or bridge with a good button layout. If i come across 1 i will let you know. I would be grateful if you done the same... good luck graham

One camera that you may both find suitable is the http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/consumer/d.../finepix-z33wp. Its a waterproof camera designed for use below the waterline as well as above it and because of this the buttons are the biggest and clearest of any camera I've encountered.
    The image quality is good – not the very best but it's fine. And it comes in a variety of colours. There's a couple of similar models with the same button arrangement, such as the Z35 and Z37 but we haven't tested those.

Amazon has a good deal on the http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Fin...9072127&sr=8-4.
    Last edited by Nigel Atherton; 06-11-10 at 06:55 PM.

Images

Smile

Thanks for that Nigel

I went with the Pentax in the end and my Dad seems delighted with it so far but the real test will be in use. It looks and feels really special which helps and I picked it up online for c90 delivered.

- the shape means it's easy to find the power button
    - it's impossible to press the power button instead of the shutter
    - swivel zoom better than buttons

Also, it has a very clear full auto 'green' mode that doesn't try to be too clever. Press the green button on the back to toggle in and out. Big clear on-screen indicator that it's in green mode.