Hybrid View

Images

Default Dark lightroom 2 !

Hi any wizzos out here might know why my lightroom 2 is a bit darker than all my other programs in normal use its set to srgb as is cs2 and screen but colours are fine on all programs and lets say zoombrowser, dpp, standard microsoft picture opener and picasa all look similar light levels and anything printed from zoombrowser is spot on but if i open same image in lightroom 2 its the same colours but bit darker overall there dosent seem to be any adjustment boxes availabe to set it up
    i dont have a monitor calibrator but there again all the rest are ok so even if i did have one it would only set them all up as a blanket change not just lightroom
    regards dodgysteve

Images

does it print dark as well

Images

Default dark lightroom

hi if you mean printing from lightroom i dont use it it always wants to print purple and orrible im guessin it a printer driver issue with lightroom but if i work on picture in lightroom then export to a pc picture folder which i do to save to another hard drive it opens up as a lighter image and will print from canons zoombrowser with very high quality colour and results (but lighter ) go figure hu
    regards steve

Smile

hi dodgysteve
    what icc colour spaces are the photos that you are inporting in to lightroom are they SRGB, Adobe RGB 1998 Profiles as i had some thing like this when it came to printing using built in software like lightroom, photoshop ,& even the software that came with my cam some would print the way i saw them on the screen and others would come out to dark and after hours of reading the web wasted photopaper & bugging epson for proper icc profiles for my home printer with emails i sorted it out and found the higher the gamma i set for my prints the dark my photos turned out

best to see if your printer as any up dates or check your gamma level on the printer worked for me

hope that can be any help to you russ

Images

Default sorry just reposted original thread

hi i can see where your coming from with the gamma thing but ive sort of gone the same route over a period of time but now have all set at srgb camera lightroom and cs2 if i print from my canon zoombrowser (which has always given me pretty much what you see is what you get) when i open up and click between zoombrowsr image and lightroom image there just seems to be maybe a third to a half a stop (camera image wise) difference almost to the point of if i export from lightroom i compensate by making it a bit darker then it opens up in other programs ok and prints fine , very odd i tend to use srgb as it prints or opens up more like it looks as opposed to adobe anything which has a better colour gammut but when i print it im generally dissapointed because it cant see the extra colours unless anyone can convince me otherwise, i used to do adobe rgb but never really got what i wanted except on my nec 24"graphic monitor (which is also now set to srgb default) and(which i luv to bits) then picture is defineatly better
    regards steve

Images

Hi,

You don't say what file format you're shooting in?

Lightroom uses Adobe ProPhoto RGB colour space (with sRGB tone curve) by default and that cannot be changed. You can change the format for external editing and also for exporting.

Regardless of whether you shoot in RAW or JPEG I would always set the camer to AdobeRGB, you capture the maximum info, regardless of whether you notice it in most images. You can always convert to sRGB for the web etc.

I can't be sure but maybe if you're shooting in RAW your other programmes are reading the embedded JPEG so you are seeing a procesed image where Lightroom is just reading the RAW image?. Cetainly don't trust windows viewer for accurate colour rendition. Sounds to me like you need to profile your monitor as astarting point. However, I don't understand why photoshop would make it look different from lightroom but again you may have camera raw incompatibilities between the two programmes or working in different colour spaces.

With regard to printing from lightroom, you need to:
    Allow Lightroom to do the colour management (settings on right)
    Ideally, install an ICC profile matched to your paper and printer and select it before printing (setting is near the one above)
    Most importantly of all, switch off ICC colour management and/or any other 'photo enhancement' stuff in your printer settings

If you don't do this, the colour processing will be done twice resulting in weird colours.