Images

Default Canon EOS 550D v Nikon D5000 or Nikon D90

Hiya, newbie poster and novice in the DSLR world. I've been wanting one for ages and am now able to buy one but think i may be over thinking it and cannot decide between the 3 cameras in the title and would really love some input and opinions from those int he know.

Budget is not really an issue, but as the D90 is 200 dearer than the other two options i am mainly wondering if it is worth investing the extra in one, is it that much better?? Will it even be too much for me with being a novice?

I also noticed the lenses are dearer with nikons than canons and as i have no real idea in what kit i will need etc yet im wondering whether this should affect my decision.

Which is most user friendly?

I dont have a camera shop within 50 miles so am going to have to travel to man handle these babies so wanted your thoughts first.

I live in the lake district so aim to take some landscapes and scenic shots, plus the obligatory dog and people portraits. We are also getting married next yr in cyprus so want to get some good photos of that.

thanks in advance x

Personally I would very much recommend the 550D. To start with, its far superior to the D5000. The rear of the D5000 is really cluttered and bulky with the fold out screen making it diffident to put the viewfinder to your eye. The D90 is definitely not worth the extra 200 over the 550D. Another factor to consider is the lenses available. Canon offers the largest range of lenses with a lens for every situation.

So as you can see, I am saying that the Canon 550D will be your best bet.

Let us know what you go for.

Images

thanks very much for replying, im leaning towards the canon myself i have had this recommended to me by someone else too.
    Your advice has just made it sink in, are the menus etc easy to follow ont he canon or are things all tucked away?
    What lenses filters would you recommend i get to start with?

I would say the 550D will last you for a good few years. It has the same sensor as the 60D and the 7D so it really is an incredible camera. The only thing you will need to buy in the future is different lens and accessories.

Glad I could help

Images

Hi and welcome what you have to remember is that you are buying into a system so look at what lenses are avaiiable to you. You are spending a lot of money buying camera it is worth the trip to Lancaster where I know there are 2 good shops there and you can see how they feel. I was advise people to do this as a comfortable camera is easier to use. Good luck