Hybrid View

Smile Which DSLR for first timer

Hi all

I've decided to get back into photography after coming into some money and wondered which would be a good DSLR to buy. I previously had a 35mm minolta slr and recently bought a fuji f70exr as a compact.

My budget is between 1000 - 1500 and that can include accessories too. I'm looking to take portrait, landscape and sports/action shots so maybe a good alrounder

Thanks in advance for your help

Jade

Images

Hi I did the same this year myself and went back into the SLR world after not having one for several years. Looking at your budget you can get a good setup.
    You could be looking at sometjing like Nikon d90 or Canon EOS550d both option will allow your budget to get a lens or two. Portrait you could go for a prime lens, but th sports and land scape you will need something like a 2.8 70-300 range which will be expensive.
    What I did was get a short list and go to shop and try them. my short list was the olympus e620 canon EOS550d and the nikon d90. My choice was the canon. Good luck

The Canon EOS 550D is an incredible camera, so I would recommend choosing this DSLR. But with your budget I would get the body only and then buy the Canon 15-85mm IS USM lens as your everyday lens. Then with the money you still have left over you could get the Canon 430EX II flashgun to add to your kit. This would be an incredible package!

Let us know what you go for

Is it not worth considering the two newest - canon 60D and nikon D7000 (when it comes out) ?
    or is an established model better for my level? I really want to see this as a long term investment and for whichever I choose to see me through the next couple of years adding accessories along the way but the body staying the same. and as I've read once you buy one brand you tend to stick with it so I'm really torn ...
    so far have tried both D90 and canon 550d and liked both. lol it seems one always has something the other doesn't.

The most important thing to remember is that it is all about the lens. If you splash out on a great DSLR body but do not leave any money for a good everyday lens then you will suffer. Plus the 550D is better than the D90 anyway.

Images

What you need to do is go to a shop and try them that might give you a better idea on how they feel in your hand it makesa big difference. This year canon has bought out the 550d and 60d nikon has the d7000 and d3100 so you would be getting a new model with the 550d.