Professional commercial photographer and filmmaker, Jim Marks, talks to What Digital Camera about his experiences with Fujifilm's latest compact cameras - the X100S and X20.

Last week, professional photographer and filmmaker, Jim Marks, dropped by the What Digital Camera office to share some of his views and opinions of two Fujifilm compact cameras – the new X100S and X20.

In an interview held with What Digital Camera’s Editor, Nigel Atherton, Jim explained the reasoning behind why more professional photographers are swaying towards smaller and lighter cameras. As well as using DSLRs, Jim swears by using Compact System Cameras, such as the Fujifilm X-Pro1 and a smaller compacts such as the new Fujifilm X100S.

Asked the question about why he chooses to use smaller cameras instead of DSLRs, Jim replied ‘Fundamentally, it’s all about weight, weight, weight. When you’ve got a bunch of prime lenses and two bodies, and you want to fly, or go to work on a motorcycle, or a horse, you need to think about weight. The great thing about mirror less is that it’s tiny and they’re really discreet cameras to use. They don’t shout look at me I’m a photographer and you become part of the background with them’.

Asked about which Fujifilm X-Series lenses he uses the most in combination with his X-Pro 1, Jim said ‘I tend to use the wide angle least. I’ve got a 35mm equivalent on my X100 so I usually shuttle between the 60mm and 35mm primes, which are equivalent to around 50mm and 90mm. The 35mm f/1.4 is just awesome. It’s such a sharp piece of glass’.The Fujifilm X100S was one of the two Fujifilm X-Series cameras to be announced at the Consumer Electronics show earlier in the year. Said to carry over 70 improvements on its predecessor, the X100, the X100S features a 16.3MP X Trans CMOS sensor that’s based on the same X Trans CMOS technology as featured within the company’s X-E1. To read our first look of the Fujifilm X100S, click here.

Fujifilm complimented the release of the X100S with an update to its X10 model. The new X20 sees the inclusion of an X-Trans CMOS II sensor, maintaining the same 2/3in sensor dimensions and 12MP pixel count of the X10. To read our first-look of the Fujifilm X20, click here.

To read full reviews of Fujifilm’s X-Series CSC’s, head to our Equipment and Reviews page.