Thread: canon450d help

Hybrid View

Unhappy canon450d help

Hi there, i have recently bought a canon 450d. I am a newbie to the whole dslr scene and have a great interest in learning, i have had a little muck around with the camera with few pictures and reading the manual trying to get the best pictures possible. Although some pictures do turn out good i have slight problem with focusing and taking the picture, when i go to press down all i hear is a sort of focusing noise is how i would descirbe it, i could be wrong but it prevents me from taking a picture, generally only when im far away it will take one. I tried using the macro setting (i still experience problem with other settings) wanting to take a close up of a flower with a spider on but it just wouldn't focus to it and when it did it would make a noise (even when it didn't it would still not take the photo and the noise would carry on) and wouldnt take the picture unless i came away from it like a metre which i can not get the focus on! i am using the kit lens 18-55. Im not sure why this problem is, i have used a few canon 450d with kit lens and never experienced this problem hence why i decided to buy my own, any advice would be great such as maybe settings is wrong or perhaps fault with camera.

Thanks

It sounds like you're trying to focus closer than the lens is capable of. The kit lens can't focus closer than about half a metre without some kind of supplementary support. If the focus mode is set to single shot (which is the default) the camera won't let you take a picture until it has locked focus.
    If you do a lot of close up work you might want to invest 25 or so on a screw on close up lens or, if you're really into it and want better results (and have at least 200) a proper macro lens.