Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: long lenses

Default Long lenses

Images

Default 100 400

This must have been one heluva decision to get zoom or prime i adore the versatility of the zoom and mine is sharp but given your subjects (and im not in the least jelous of them arrrrrh) i can see your problem are these blinding creatures near to you i sometimes catch a quick flash of them around shoreham sussex by river bank but have never found them sitting anyway cool pics (and if thats your subjects you may well still end up with prime later on dont say i didnt warn you !
    Regards steve

Default Long lenses

This photo has been cropped quite a bit,but this was taken from a hide,on a reserve quite close to were i live.There is 4 regular Kingfishers that are "regulars" to this site at the momment,and we hope they'll stay for quite a while,if not permanent! Yes most people only see a flash of blue and orange,for a few seconds.And yes you are probably right i will get a prime lens in the future,know of any good numbers for the Lottery?

Images

Default microadjust ?

hi rosie i dont know which camera you have but i have 50d and found it helped to set up microadjust for focusing (infact most of my lenses benefited from it ) just looked at 17 40 l and it has -5 so suspect 100 400 is set up too (strange they have done away with it on new 60d along with pc sync skt, very backward step if you ask me) any way just thought it might help if focusing may seem to be out sometimes
    regards steve

Default Lens

Hi Steve,thanks for your info,how does the microfocus work and how do you set it up?
    Going off the subject a bit ,apparently there's a up date for Canon's DPP software out version 3.9.2. Do you use it?

Images

Default Microadjust

Hi sorry for delay on reply its not the easiest thing to explain on here its in manual and various sites show different ways but all i did was to set something small say a bottle or can with writing on about 20 feet away in back garden, and put camera on tripod with 100 400 set to 400 and set speed at 500 or above to try to confirm its not shake turn off is switch then set camera center focus point only aim focus point at writing (a known point of focus ie a letter or word ) and fired of about 20 shots each time taking my finger completly off shutter button (to make sure it tries to refocus each time . Then preview zoomed in to max on rear screen to see if all are in focus where you pointed at, but you may well find that it shows slightly behind or in front mine did then set up front or rear in sub menu and try again till it gets most right gosh i hope that makes sense but some web sites may explain it better mine was really trial and error and i also think thats why my 40d didnt seem anywhere near as good as my 50d as my 24 105 l i was dissapointed with as it didnt really seem any better than my 28 135 till i got 50d and set it up and it just went from looking flat printed to having a real depth odd but true and on 60d they have removed it so odds are i wont buy one of them
    oh and no i dont use dpp i use lightroom 2 for 98% of what i produce image wise its so easy and presets are brill
    please feel free to google steve doidge and see results all but clone ing and free transform/warp which are photoshop cs2 simple exports and imports from lightroom
    gez that was a long spiel
    regards steve
    ps my favorite shot recently is in allround images 2 and its the old wooden boat hull and bridge it looks like a watercolour painting and looks fab printed and framed

Images

Default Image

Hi ive just uploaded boat pic into my gallery will put some off my other images up soon if you feel inclined to browse
    regards steve

Default Lenses

Hi Steve thanks for your info mate! Just been looking at your gallery all i can say is Wow!
    You definately have an eye for catching natural fun momments at weddings,great.Your other photos shout out quality and enthusiasm and patience,well done.

Images

Default thank you

Many thanks for your reply, its funny really but maybe its just me but i seem to feed off the word" wow " as a photog (not my full time job by the way im an aircraft radio engineer !) if i show an image to someone and they go wow thats all i need wether anyone wants to buy it dosent bother me, i make images really for me. Having said that i have sold a number of 20"by 16 in borderd frames of lancing college in frost and last christmas it was used as their christmas card image so that makes me really think im doing it right
    and its a bit like getting gold stars at school (albiet i dont remember getting any !) collecting wows is the same for me! And at 54 i need all the wows i can get !!
    Thanks again
    regards steve

Images

Enjoy your 100-400 mm lens. I have one and I love it!!!