Hybrid View

Default Compact with wide angle lens advice ... and underwater camera advice

Hello

First time poster here looking for some advice.

I love photography and tend to take my of my pictures when travelling. I've not invested in a DSLR due to the weight and size of kit that I would have to carry around - several years ago I borrowed a Nikon D50 for a trip and did have a few issues trying to keep it clean and managing with the lenses.

I currently have a Canon S5 IS which has been an okay camera, I do shoot using the manual controls/settings and have been frustrated by it's speed at times so I'm rethinking by investing in two cameras. I'll get a DSLR and want a good compact camera to go with it for times that I need something light and unobtrustive.

I have a trip coming up next weekend and would love to break in the compact first, and will take that and the S5 IS.

At first I looked at the waterproof range and I liked the idea of the Olympus Mju Tough 3000 Digital Camera. I spend a fair bit of time outside and I'm a keen kayaker but I understand they suffer from poor image quality.

I would really like a compact with a decent wide angle lens for landscape photography. I'm a Canon fangirl for no realy good reason but given a choice I would prefer to stick with the Canon brand.

Can anyone advise me on a compact offering the best image quality with a wide angle lens. I don't care about styling or screen size but would like it to be fairly small. If a waterproof one exists even better! I'm happy to go upto 200 for the right camera, but I don't want to spend for the sake of it if a 150 will do the job.

Shoudl also add that one of my favorite features of the S5 IS is the LCD that rotates out making it easy to take self shots! I don't think any cameras have this now though?