Hybrid View

Images

Default Blue tint Printing??

Just converted a colour shot to B&W then back to RGB. I've added a bit of warmth to the sky so for it to show up in the print. The rest of the print is just a B&W, but when printed out on my Epson DX6000, the B&W shot has come out a deep, more or less (navy) blue. Should I be adjusting anything else in any settings so that I get a print as seen on the computer screen? Thanks in advance. Mike.

Hi Mike,

Just joined the forum and noticed that you hadn't had any response, so here goes.

What you are seeing is probably a good example of how difficult it can be to print neutral B&W using a full-colour printer. This "blue tint" is probably present in all your prints to some degree, but the eye is much more sensitive to such colour casts in B&W prints than in colour. Even a small deviation from neutral (grey) is usually very obvious.

You don't say whether you are using Epson inks and paper, or "compatibles". If you are using compatible inks then I am not surprised that you have a colour cast - in my experience, third-party inks may be close to OEM inks but never match perfectly. The paper can also affect the colour to a surprising degree, so third-party papers can give unpredictable results.

If you are using Epson ink and paper, then it seems likely that your printer is printing just a bit bluer than the average for that model. The printer profile that the driver uses is for an "average" model and may not be exactly right for your particular example.If that is the case then you have two options. You can fiddle with the colour balance in Photoshop (or whatever application you are using) before you print. This can involve a lot of trial and error and often doesn't really solve the problem. You may find that you need different fiddle factors for shadows, mid-tones and highlights so you never get them all looking right at the same time.

The other option, if you are serious about your printing, is to get a custom profile for your printer. This almost always cures the problem that you have, whether you are using Epson materials or compatibles. It also eliminates all the trial and error and the wasted paper and ink that it involves.

Maybe not exactly what you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps.

Roger

Images

Smile

Here is another thing you can try to get good prints. first select your colour profile SRGB or Adobe RGB which ever one you choose you will need to set it for your camera printer and monitor. I always found that i got dark prints and had to up the brightness, it was only since I go my new camera EOS550d that I have done a lot more research and found these things out. My prints now look a lot better. Hope this helps

Images

Hi Mike, Have you calibrated your monitor? It needs to be in order that you can see a true likeness of your picture. I use a Spyder Express.

Also I paid for a profile to be made for my paper ( Ilford Satin ) and Epson Ink.

You also need to check no colour management in your printer driver. Chose Let photoshop manage colour and relative colourimetric.

Hope this helps.

Dave