Hybrid View

Default Lenses for 5D mk2

Hi all, new to the forum, and first post so be gentle.

I am about to recieve a Canon 5D Mk2 as my vely ord digital slr went kind of wrong, water dose that to it.

Anyway I dont think my old lenses wont be up to providing good quality for such a top camera,

Lenses I curently have is a Modified EFS 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 and a Sigma UC 70-210mm 4.0-5.6.

Im not to worried about a lense for distance or zoom, but looking for a lense for portate street and indoor shooting, something round the 18-55mm mark or their abouts.Now I dont have a lot of money to spend, so will more than likely be looking sencond hand, and was looking for some ideas as its been a while synec I had to get a lense and dont know a huge amount abut them. I do apresiate you pay for what you get.

Many thnks for any advice.

Images

Your 18-55 won't work on a 5D II - it won't even fit, unless the modification is pretty drastic, and it won't cover the whole frame. To give an equivalent angle of view, you'll need something like a 28-80, but you'll need to give some indication of budget to pick something suitable.

Unfortunately to get he best out of the 5D mkII, being a full frame camera, you do need to use the best optics. This means the L class lenses in the Canon range and for the 18-55 equivalent, then its probably the 24-70mm that you should be looking at.

To go wider then I would recommend the 16-35mm or the cheaper 17-40mm.

These may be more expensive than the lenses you are used to buying but that's the downside of shooting full frame I afraid.

Images

Personally, I think the 24-105L performs better on the 5D II, and is the perfect lens for it.

Images

Agree 100% and good secondhand copies can be obtained from Ffordes and other such retailers. Going secondhand is ceratinly worth a look.

Agree with the others, you need to be looking at the 24-70 f2.8 or alternatively 24-105, is a brilliant lens. while they would cover you for your lower focal length's i'd guess you'd need to look at something like the 70 - 300, although I would try and get something like a 70-200 f2.8, but it all depends on what you shoot obviously