Default Olympus E-PL1 + Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 MEGA OIS Lens ?

Hi

I've been told that the performance issues with the Olympus PEN series (autofocus/shutterlag) is mainly down to the kit lens, so I wondered if anyone has tried a different M 4/3rds lens, like the panasonic range, and if they've experienced a noticeable improvement? Is there any websites that address this? (if you could provide a link that would be great).

Thanks,

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by stormycub View Post
    Hi

I've been told that the performance issues with the Olympus PEN series (autofocus/shutterlag) is mainly down to the kit lens, so I wondered if anyone has tried a different M 4/3rds lens, like the panasonic range, and if they've experienced a noticeable improvement? Is there any websites that address this? (if you could provide a link that would be great).

Thanks,

Pat
    It's easy to spend a lot of time reading reviews etc. and only confusing oneself. I was particularly worried about the speed of the standard four thirds lenses on a PEN body so I took two down to Jacobs and asked for a demonstration, then came away with a lovely new E-P1 with the pancake lens.

You probably know that Oly have issued a firmware upgrade to improve the focus speed and with this fitted I am very happy with the performance,

FWIW I have the following lenses (in order of focussing speed)

mFT 17mm pancake
    FT 14-42
    FT 70-300
    FT 12-60
    FT 50mm

The first three are all officially optimized for the PEN, the last two not yet. I find the first three perfectly OK. The 12-60 is Ok in most situations but I will probably use it mainly on a standard E series body. The 50mm is distinctly leisurely and probably best kept for studio use - but then it never was lightening fast on an E series, it's just superb optically

My suggestion would be find a dealer with the lens and body you are interested in and go and try them out. If you do pair the Pany lens with a PEN body you will be effectively getting two sorts of image stabilisation - so it would be interesting to hear which you think is best

Roger
    Last edited by RogerMac; 22-07-10 at 02:19 PM.