Hi from another noob, I decided to register as you lot seem a patient bunch as well as being highly informative and willing to pass on all you’ve learned.
Like a lot of people I’ve been a casual snapper for years, set to auto and point and shoot. Now one day feeling very bored I stumbled across a web site featuring the work of the venerable David Bailey. Browsing through the pictures I was struck dumb that I never realised what a wonderful and powerful art form photography can be. So being stuck here in the Middle East with nothing to do but work and sleep I thought I would go and buy a camera and get into a new hobby. There then followed several weeks of reading the WDC forums and the terrific reviews to help me decide what I wanted to buy. One thing I do disagree with and something I read many times is “decide what type of photo’s you want to take before you buy” That’s just it “I’m a noob” I have no idea what pictures I want to take, I’m all enthusiasm and nothing else, I want to take pictures of everything. Any how I did try and narrow it down, as I live it a lovely part of rural Norfolk (when home) and as I studied zoology many moons ago I figured I wanted to concentrate on wildlife and landscapes, although I would still like to be able to take more than just snaps of the wife and kids and dog and cat etc.

So I went for a D90 with the 18-105 VR kit which was probably about 150 more expensive over here then in the U.K but I did get an 8 gig SDHC card, a Nikon camera bag and a reasonable tripod thrown in. To add to that I bought a Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DG OS lens which was actually a bit cheaper then U.K prices.

I think they are good choices for what I want to learn, so no ’should I buy this or should I buy that’ questions but I do have a couple of other questions.

Firstly, does any one know of any photographic clubs in or near Abu Dhabi? I doubt there is as lets face it there ain’t nothing worth taking a picture of. I know that’s not true and there is always a good picture to be taken somewhere, see I have read the forums! Secondly, the heat and particularly the humidity over here are unreal, 45 - 50 D c most days and at least 90% humidity. Took my camera out one day and the lens was instantly blurred with condensation. I see Nikon advise a maximum of 40 and maximum humidity 85%. As I only have a few weeks to go should I just play safe and just play with the camera in my room, I don’t want to damage it before I can learn how to use it.

So, I’ll be an avid reader of the forums and thank you Mr. Bailey for the inspiration.