Default Canon 50d or 550d?

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post so be kind! I need a bit of advice. Iíve been using the amazing Lumix LX3 bridge camera for a few years, but I am now looking at upgrading to a DSLR.

Iím looking at Canons and have 2 in mind, either the 50d or the 550d. Having compared the specs on the Canon website it appears that the cheaper 550d is ďbetterĒ in terms of spec. Is this the case? Iím not particularly bothered about shooting video on the camera, I just want one that is going to last me a good few years and produces a sharp, high quality image. Shooting speed is another consideration.

Lenses are something else I have been looking at and something I donít really have a great deal of experience in. I shoot mainly landscapes but also need a fairly good zoom lens (something the LX3 sadly lacks). I have been looking at the Canon 85mm f/1.8 and the Canon 50mm 1.4. Would these give me what Iím after? Also, are there any 3rd party lenses that are worth considering or should I stick with the canon brand?

Images

one difference is the body composition 50d is alloy and 550d is plastic, so this also means that there is a weight differnce.
    as for lenses any ef lens will fit an eos camera as for third parties then sigma and tamaron are to be concidered

Thumbs up 50d or 550d

helo, a good question, and one i had a few months ago.however whilst i was on an evening portrait course i asked the same to my lecturer and he had a 50d whilst i had a 400d and wanted to upgrade then he showed me his new 550d and told me what a bit of kit it was showed me what it did and how good it was. shortly after my one arrived in kit form with the 18-55mm is lens. and to be honest with you its the dogs danglies much better than my 400d which was great but this is as good as it gets from my opinion! picture quality is superb i dont use the video but have been told by my lecturer that its great. i also shoot alot of natural word shots (landscape, seascape wildlife ect) and cant praise it enough.I use the kit lens,28-200usm, and a 24-70L lense the kit lens although not the greatest of builds ,gives really great shots,but the 28-200 gives more flexability and although its a older lens it still suits all and gives great results.
    hope this helps you make a choice!

one difference is the body composition 50d is alloy and 550d is plastic, so this also means that there is a weight differnce.
    as for lenses any ef lens will fit an eos camera as for third parties then sigma and tamaron are to be concidered .
    i agree with you idea

excellent thank you.
    I want a camera that is going to last, the 50d obviously seems a better option being made of alloy. i don't mind the weight, the main differences I have seen between the two are the megapixels and the speed of continuous shooting.

i know its as much about the lens you use, but which produces the better picture?

Default 50d 550d

i can only comment on the 550d excellent picture quality , as i said the lecturer at college seemed to be impresses and he has both, as for build quality you maybe right the 50d being better but consider that the price you are paying for the camera you are probably going to look after it arent you!, and if you do think it may get damaged at some point, make sure its insured on either a house insurance or an independant cos is alot of money go get damaged and be without ,it will only cost a few pounds and if its damaged you can get it sorted as said its not a cheap purchase. on the matter of lenses i have got both canon and have just purchased a sigma 150- 500mm zoom and the picture quality is outstanding and the difference in price compared to the canon was massive, again if you are looking to get a lense or what ever do some research online first , go to a review website and get some ideas then you can make a better judgement just as you have done here
    hope all this is of some help!

thanks bazz. Still looking for the best option, it would obviously be insured.

Thing is... if i get the 550, I can put another £200 toward a good lens, which might be the best idea. I think i'm going to try both out in the store and see which I like.

get the 550D, I have it, it is incredibly good, takes fantastic photos!

Images

Smile

I have seen the 550d now offering an 18-55 plus 55-250 from camerabox.
    On the subject of lenses the 18-55 is a good kit lens to be honest

Images

Default Canon 50D versus Canon 550D

I have the Canon 50D (upgraded from a 400D) and the difference in the quality of the photos is amazing. The 400D had noise problems (lots of grain) at high ISO which the 50D doesn't. Re the extra weight, I like the feel of the heavier camera in my hands. I have the Canon 18-200 3.5 IS zoom lens and I find it a wonderful walk around lens which caters for wide angled landscapes and you can zoom in when you want to get close to the subject. It hardly left my camera on a recent trip overseas. You can look at some of my photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8364607...7612132435952/