Images

Default Do I have to buy an SLR?

Dont know if I'm going to hear the answer I want to hear but thought its worth asking anyway .

I have just had my Nikon D90 stolen whilst on holiday which I was initially pretty upset about but started to think it was maybe a cloud with a silver lining ! I never really took to the Nikon completely , loved the detail after my Canon D60 but preferred the natural look and colours of the D60 and also found the highlights of the Nikon such as skies burnt out in a horribly digital way ?

I also wish I could just having something small to just whip out rather than a big bulky camera in its huge bag with all its lenses and accessories !

My main interest is landscapes/travel photography and am also doing a bit of freelance travel journalism so the photo side could require some decent quality pretty soon .

I have been looking at these Olympus pens and alike and dreaming of how easy they would be to carry around and whip out when the moment arises !!!

Can anyone help ?

Quote Originally Posted by benmft View Post
    Dont know if I'm going to hear the answer I want to hear but thought its worth asking anyway .

I have just had my Nikon D90 stolen whilst on holiday which I was initially pretty upset about but started to think it was maybe a cloud with a silver lining ! I never really took to the Nikon completely , loved the detail after my Canon D60 but preferred the natural look and colours of the D60 and also found the highlights of the Nikon such as skies burnt out in a horribly digital way ?

I also wish I could just having something small to just whip out rather than a big bulky camera in its huge bag with all its lenses and accessories !

My main interest is landscapes/travel photography and am also doing a bit of freelance travel journalism so the photo side could require some decent quality pretty soon .

I have been looking at these Olympus pens and alike and dreaming of how easy they would be to carry around and whip out when the moment arises !!!

Can anyone help ?
    Not sure what help you need - why don't you just mosey on down to a store that stocks them and try one out. Thats what I did four weeks ago when I went to Jacobs and came away with a P1 plus pancake lens for 400, but while I think it will replace my DSLR for most close to medium telephoto work I suspect that I will stick to DSLRs for telephoto work.

Here is a link to Jacobs web site http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/ I believe that other stres have similar bargains at the moment

Here is a link to the editor of AP (no less) using one http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk.../page/0#907926

Roger

Images

Thanks for replying Roger and I will be heading to a store soon to try one or two different options . My question was a bit vaguely put as I was in a rush ! What I'm really hoping someone will tell me is that a small camera like the Olympus will be good enough for getting lovely sharp and detailed landscapes , and be good enough quality for commercial use ie. selling to travel magazines , photo libraries etc.

Quote Originally Posted by benmft View Post
    Thanks for replying Roger and I will be heading to a store soon to try one or two different options . My question was a bit vaguely put as I was in a rush ! What I'm really hoping someone will tell me is that a small camera like the Olympus will be good enough for getting lovely sharp and detailed landscapes , and be good enough quality for commercial use ie. selling to travel magazines , photo libraries etc.
    It does the quality bit for me, the lens line up is still in its infancy (I am sure that there are some nice surprises in the pipeline) and with some of the legacy lenses the AF is a bit slow. I would not recommend it as a birding camera or for sports events but (for me at least) it's as good as any crop sensor camera for your landscape requirements. I will be chosing mine over the DSLR for that role almost always

Roger

Another thought is that you could take a memory card with you to the dealer and ask if you can take some images away to review the quality

Roger