Hi all
I am new to the forum and really have just joined for some advice, after buying your mag and doing some online research this seemed like then next place to come.

I went on holiday a month ago to Greece and soon realised that my old compact camera has had its day and before I jet set off to Singapore and Bali in October I really need to replace it with something better.

I have to admit that although I like taking good photos, its more luck then skill, I have an arty eye so know what looks nice but donít know much when it comes to the technical side of cameras. So I want something that is easy to use, but with potential to go further.

I like to take a lot of photos of my pets (including fast moving rats) and am also interested in trying my hand at some wildlife shots. In addition to this the idea of a good zoom appeals to me. Finally I have terrible shaky hands so good stabilisation is important.

I have looked at a few cameras and quite like the look of the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ38, I like the fact that it has a battery pack rather than AA batteries but am not so keen on the static LCD screen as I think the moveable ones would be really useful. I also like the look of the Fuji Fine Pix HS10 but its right at the top end of my budget . The camera that is topping my list at the moment however is the Canon Powershot SX20 IS.

I plan to make a trip to my local camera shop tomorrow for some more advice and to hopefully hold a couple of these cameras. But does anyone else have any other suggestions? Input? It seems at the moment all I can think about is CAMERAS! lol but being a complete novice its quite hard to know what I am looking for and I just donít have the time to read pages and pages on them.

My last question is....I heard a rumour online that Canon might bring out a Powershot SX30 IS in September? But I can only find this in one place. The rumour said it will have a battery pack and a x24 zoom, this would really appeal to me, but I am not sure if itís a good idea to wait and see if the rumour is true or get a new camera soon-ish so I have time to play with it before October. Is there any way I can find out more about this?

Sorry for the long post,
Thanks in advance!
x Emily