Hybrid View

Default Buying Advice Compact Digital

This certainly isn't the first and it wont be the last thread like this.

I am after some advice.

I purchased a Panasonic TZ5 camera 3 years ago after reading many positive reviews. The camera takes fantastic pictures outside, however inside it takes what can only be describes as the worst I have ever seen. Almost every picture of my children taken in low light conditions are surrounded by massive shadows. This is with the camera in full auto, or even in manual modes. We have tried it with the backlight on/off, flash on/auto/off and it makes little or no difference. Worse still to date stamp the photos you have to do this after the picture has been taken which then reduces the size & quality further!

Enough is enough

I am looking to replace this and will probably have between 200-250 to spend.

Most of the photos we take are of the children so the camera needs to be able to take quick pictures, inside in low light & good light, and outside.

Essesntially as both my wife & I are novices we just want to point & press and have nice pictures.

I want to be able to set the camera up so that it automatically date stamps the photos as they are taken as apposed to having to go back through them all afterwards and add them.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Images

I'd probably recommend the http://www.whatdigitalcamera.co.uk/e...xr-review.html, as by the sounds of it you need decent low light performance. I'm not sure about the date stamp, as that's not something we ever test, so I might have to throw that open to any reader's who've bought the camera....

Thanks for the advice. I have also been looking through reviews on this site and on Which and this camera didn't get a particulary good review.

Any alternatives to this?

I can't be of much help here as I am more into DSLR photography but if I were to recommend a camera in your price range it would be the Canon PowerShot SX210 IS. This is because in my family there are two Canon compacts which are great and it gets good reviews: http://www.digicambuyer.co.uk/camera...rshot_sx210_is . That review gives the came 5 out of 5 for low light photos which sounds like what you want.