Thread: Which L zoom

Red face Which L zoom

I am on the verge of ordering a new 7d !!!! to replace my old and well used 300d ...which replaced an old EOS 620....which replaced....never mind. I am confused over which is the best L lens to consider there are lots of conflicting views -I am looking at the 24-70 f2.8L of the 24-105 IS f4L. To further add to the confusion I was also told to think about a 15-85 IS USM??
    Please can some one help clear the fog!!!

Images

Cool

what do you want to use it for. the canon gets good reviews so does the sigma which is a lot cheaper.

One of the possible reasons for the conficting reviews is it depends whether the lens is used on a full-frame or APS-C camera. Some of Canon's full-frame EF lenses are great in the centre but go soft towards the edges. The 17-40mm L is a classic example. This means that whe fitted to an APS_C DSLR like the 7D the quality is great, but on a 5D you start to see the mushy edge definition.

We haven't tested the 24-105mm but we liked the 24-70mm f/2.8 when wehttp://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equ...sm-review.html it. We also found the http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equ...ns-review.html to be exceptionally good too.

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks all.
    Reviews and all aside - I found a bargin used 24-105 F4L which was too good to resist so I dropped for that - If it turns out not to be a good decision I can part chop it for a 24- 70 or something else later - and she who must be obeyed will have forgoten th e 500 I have spent by then I will keep my old kit 15-55 which is poor but will be ok for now and then perhaps a 16-35 F2.8 . I may need to find a second job...