Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DSLR Sensor Cleaning.....

As above folks, Is this a DIY task that one can successfully complete? Or should it be left to professionals?

I'm not asking about a specific make of camera (Still tracking down a suitable model!) but would i be correct in assuming the proceedure is basically the same regardless of make?

If it's a task best left to the professionals then how much would it cost? I'm thinking on the lines of mainstream camera's such as Canon EOS 400/450/500 Nikon D80/90/3000/5000 ect.

Do any of the high street dealers (Jessops ect) provided such a service?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Images

I think its pretty much the same for all cameras and what needs doing depends on how dirty the sensor is and wethere it needs a wet or dry clean.
    I did enquire once for a full sensor clean and was quoted around 45 pounds.
    In the end I done it myself and its not as daunting as it sounds.
    Theres loads of tutorials for cleaning the sensor or you could try youtube to see how its done step by step.
    Good Luck

It all depends.....................

Olympus claim that they have the best anti-dust system and I have had tw oof their cameras for a total of four years and have NEVER needed a sensor clean.

Roger

Images

Anti dust systems just shake the dust off the sensor but the dust still remains in the sensor area but blowing it out gets rid of it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by sitan1 View Post
    Anti dust systems just shake the dust off the sensor but the dust still remains in the sensor area but blowing it out gets rid of it completely.
    On the Oly system there are sticky pads which collect the shaken off dust and stop it re-circulating

Roger

Images

I would be concerned on how much dust got stuck on the pads over a long period of time with the possibility of build up so to help the in built anti dust system try something like the rocket blower to blow out excess dust or an arctic butterfly to actually collect the dust on the brush tip via static.

Quote Originally Posted by sitan1 View Post
    I would be concerned on how much dust got stuck on the pads over a long period of time with the possibility of build up so to help the in built anti dust system try something like the rocket blower to blow out excess dust or an arctic butterfly to actually collect the dust on the brush tip via static.
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating and if you go to any of the Oly forums you will find that almost everybodys experience is the same as mine. Of course their dust system has only been out about 5 or 6 years so we do know how long they will in fact last.. The shutters for the consumer grade cameras are quoted at 50,000 actuations and the professional ones at 150,000 and quite a few bodies have passed those limits. If there should be a problem replacement of the pads is a serviceable item

Mine current camera has only done about 6,000 actuations so I am a comparative youngster

Roger
    Last edited by RogerMac; 13-06-10 at 10:33 PM.

Images

Lol you win don't clean your sensor just leave it forever and let the anti dust system do its job
    I'm sure it will be dust free for at least 50,000-150,000 actuations.
    Me personnaly I will continue to aid the inbuilt anti dust system with the suggestions I made earlier as my Nikon D300s suffers from dust even with the anti dust system, I must have a rubbish camera, oh well never mind I'll try and upgrade sometime in the future to a better dust free model.

Nikons are not rubbish cameras, Its just that every camera has its strong and week points, and dust busting is one of Oly's strengths.

And they may have the best system tied up in patents so nobody else can copy it (sneaky).

Roger

Default 84csjk

Interesting responses folks, thanks for the replies.