Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images

Smile

hi it is stressful but when i did it i got a lot out of it when i saw the finished result. as has been said before try and get a job as a second shooter or an assistant to get a feel for it
    again best of luck

Images

Thansk again for the advice, all taken on board.

Just found this thread which is helpful
    http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/tec...-weddings.html

Thanks

Images

Default Weddings

It would be a good idea if you could, to go out with an experienced wedding photographer and take candid shots and at the same time get a feel for the business. I did wedding photography for 15 years, the stress factor changed for the better when digital cameras came on the scene, as there wasn't the waiting all week to see the results taken on film.
    More people these days are wanting candid type images, so as already mentioned you will need lots of memory and batteries.

Wink

Mind if I add a bit more? I used to do wedding photography many years ago but in film, and I did all my own processing from developing to printing to wedding album. If you take up the excellent advice our grand forum members have provided then you will be on the starter for ten. Do have a go at being an assistant for someone, and then you will realise that you also will benefit from having your own assisitant. I found this a great help, he/she can hold a reflector for you when necessary, either white or gold, and also they can round up the guests for the next shot while you are doing the current shot. An assistant needs to have a loud voice and an ability to bully people, but nicely, almost with military precision as sometimes the guests will misbehave on purpose just to wind up the photographer. Another role would be to keep an eye on the 'David Baileys' who try to get between the official photographer and his subjects, don't let them spoil any shots and believe me some of them can be quite obnoxious. It has already been said and it's important to remember that this is a very special day for the bride and groom, no going back for another chance if the pics get messed up. A good photographer will make it all seem effortless through sheer experience and being totally familiar with his camera under any conditions. Follow the advice already given as well and it's possible to make a good income, I know of photographers who charge 3000 inc a dvd of the occasion. I can think of one who was just like you at your stage and began in a small way with a cheap camera, and he now commands fees like the one above. I wish you all success.

Hi Sitan. Hope you got my input as something strange seems to be happening here, after posting my reply I couldn't find it anywhere and now suddenly it's come back, and I found it through a back door route, so I hope you can read it. All the best.

Images

Hi Canismajor,
    Thanks very much for your information and reply to my question.
    You have provided some fantastic and essential advice, unfortunantly finances have put a hold on things for me at the moment so I can't afford the second body and lenses I need to go down this road.
    I really wouldn't want to do something as important as someones wedding without the right equipment.
    I have taken on board your advice and will keep it in mind if the time arrises where I can get the equipment to do this very rewarding photography genre.
    Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my thread and hope you had a great easter.

Kindest Regards
    Simon

Hi Simon. Yes I had a good Easter thanks, I hope you did too. About gear for wedding photography, I don't wish to make too light of this subject but in all seriousness I know of photographers who started out with, and covered many weddings with nothing more than a basic camera body and a standard 50mm f1.8 lens and flashgun. They always seemed to get plenty of work too. In this day and age I think we have become overly concerned with things and perhaps fear failure more then ever. With digital it seems hard to really mess anything up as there's always editing software to make corrections post shooting. Just a thought. All the best.

Images

Hi Canismajor,
    I understand what you are saying but in todays environment not only would you ruin someones wedding by not having a backup body but you could get sued for lots of dosh by not being as prepared as you could.
    Especially the amount people are willing to pay for your services.
    I just wouldn't want that amount of presure on me if my only camera went kaput as the ceremony was about to start.
    If it was that simple it would be a great way for me to get started and earn the money I need for the right equipment.

Thanks again for your input and advice.
    Kind Regards
    Simon

Cool Wedding photogrpahy.

Hi Simon.
    I understand what you are saying and about how things are today, I guess in this country we have imported the 'compensation culture' from the USA, and it really does instill fear into people. If you are looking to earn extra cash from photography, it's sad to say but it's one of those areas in life where if you don't have the proper equipment which costs a bomb, then it becomes rather frustrating. For example, the local cricket team where I live asked me to do a shoot of a match and all the action, but I couldn't even consider it until I had bought a Sigma 120-400mm lens, which cost me over 600. At a cricket match one is a long way from the players at the edge of the field and any smaller zoom would not suffice, don't forget that this lens at the long end equates to a 600mm lens in film terms and gives that power of magnification on a camera with a sensor like the one in my D300. If you look at my images there's one titled 'owzat' where I captured the ball midwicket.
    My passion is motor cycle racing and depending where you can position yourself at the trackside will determine what lens you can use. I've taken decent pics with my 18-200mm lens where I can get close, but at other sites I need the Sigma 120-400mm. If you make good prints at A4 there are plenty of bikers who will buy them when you next go to a race, and if you charge 10 and sell ten then it's worth it. I can't think of any kind of photography that pays good money and you only need basic inexpensive gear, maybe someone else can offer some suggestions. Please don't be put off Simon, I had to wait for retirement until I could afford decent digital gear. All the very best. Mike.

Hi Simon

I joined this forum today. I am fond of photography, and want to be in the same field. So, before finalizing this as my career, I want to have a idea what all skills and investment it requires to give a proper start. The discussion above is very informative, it throws light the reason I joined this forum .
    Keep posting!! I will do the same as and whenever I get something useful to share.