Hybrid View

Default help! Having trouble choosing new camera...

HI

I am looking to replace my lovely canon ixus 85 with a newer model. however i am a bit blinded by all the choice and thought someone may be able to help...

i would ideally like:
    -high megapixel
    -super zoom (i take a lot of wildlife shots from far away)
    - compact

i am torn between the canon sx200 and sx210 the Panasonic and the Sony models.

can anyone advise which would be the best?

thanks

Images

Hi Kat,

One of the most important things when picking a new camera is the amount of money you're willing to spend.

Could you give us an indication of your budget?

Thanks,

Paul

We recently did a group test between four high zoom compacts:
    Canon SX210, Panasonic TZ10, Sony HX5 and Nikon S8000. All have at least 10x zooms, at least 10 megapixels and pocket-friendly bodies. Apart from the Nikon, which wasn't as good as the others, they all had their strenth and weaknesses, but overall the Sony HX5 won by a whisker.

I wouldn't get too hung up on high megapixels, especially in a compact camera. The sensors are so small that adding more pixels is as likely to reduce quality as increase it. Anything over 10MP is more than enough.

thats really interesting about the pixles thanks!

budget but not really wanting to spend more than 300 but it depends on the camera

What about the Sony H55? You can get it in black or silver for 204.99 at Warehouse Express. It has 14.1mp and 10x optical zoom. It has a large 3inch screen. It has 720p HD video and Sony's new Sweep Panorama feature. It also has Face detection with Smile Shutter. I have had compact Sony cameras before which have all produced fantastic pictures.

There is also the option of the HX5 which does full HD video, 10x optical zoom but 10.2mp.
    Last edited by PKW; 02-06-10 at 03:55 PM.

thanks all very helpful comments!!! will go play with the suggested ones and choose from there!