Hybrid View

Images

Default Which one is better

Recently I've got an old issue of WDC (Dec 2009) from a friend. You have discussed abour B & W images. I'm a novice in Photography and using a point & shoot camera for the time being. My question is -

Which process is better ?
    1. Shoot a pic in B & W mode in camera or
    2. Convert a regular color image into B & W using software ?

Thanks in advance.

Images

Hi reusufzai

I'm not an expert on photography but, personally, I would shoot in colour and then to convert to B&W after. IMHO I've always found that shooting in colour and converting to B&W has always left me with many more creative options i.e. with having a B&W background and then the subject of the image in colour etc.

Have you thought about taking a colour and a B&W shot of a still life and then comparing the results after you've converted the colour image to B&W to see which you prefer? There may be a distinct difference between the two.

Anyway, whatever you decide to do enjoy doing it! That's what it's all about Hope this helps

Take care, Debi

Images

When you take a picture with a camera in B&W the camera actually takes the picture in colour then converts it into mono with the onboard software, so as said previously you might as well take the picture in colour and convert it yourself on your pc for greater control.

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot Debi and Sitan.

"Have you thought about taking a colour and a B&W shot of a still life and then comparing the results after you've converted the colour image to B&W to see which you prefer? There may be a distinct difference between the two."

I will certainly try this out.

Well, put it this way, if you took a once in a lifetime picture in black and white, and then decided it would have looked better in colour when you got home, you'd be pretty gutted! Shoot in colour, edit to black and white

Images

If you take a photo in B&W mode on a digital camera it doesn't convert the colour image to B&W. What it actually does is just record one colour channel, normally the RED channel.

So, it's much better to shoot in colour and then convert to B&W on the computer.
    Fen .......... My http://www.fenris.co.uk/galleries.htm - My http://fen-oswin.blogspot.com/ - My http://www.flickr.com/photos/fenoswin/sets/

"I never cared for fashion much, amusing little seams and witty little pleats: it was the girls I liked." - David Bailey