hey guys,
i currently have a compact digital camera and am wanting to get some better pictures. I am looking to upgrade to a DSLR. As a beginner i dont want to spend alot but i want something better than my current digital camera!

I generally take pictures of static cars (as i go to alot of car shows) but i would also like to start taking pics of buildings and ancient ruins as i go to these places alot.

I currently have a canon Ixus 70 7.1mp.

I have been looking and 2 SLRs have come up. I was looking at the Nikon 3000d and the canon eos 1000d. Out of the 2, most people are telling me the nikon is better and after playing with both, the nikon does appear to come on top. I especially like the VR lense which reduces shake.

HOWEVER, my friend has pointed one out to me, it is a canon 350d. She says because i am a beginner it will be much better for me (i dont need anything fancy!). The device is also slightly cheaper.

i can get a nikon d3000 for 280 thats with the standard lense. Looking on ebay (IF) i get a bargain i could probably get a canon 350d for around 200 (although this seems to be a big IF at the moment!)

If any1 has any advice i would be very appreciative!

Thanks
James S