Hybrid View

Question Advice on buying a tripod and head

I have a new Panasonic FZ38 which weighs in at 460gms fully loaded but I have no tripod...yet.

I am off to several airshows this summer and want to buy a light weight tripod and head for static shooting but also make use of the camera's video capability for formation air displays.

Looking in WDC there are brief reviews on some tripods but nothing that helpful so I have not a clue where to start. eg . I am presuming I need a Pan and Tilt head rather than ball & socket type for video ? My local Jessops have a few tripods and heads but would like advice from here before I approach them.

Can I mix and match tripods to heads from different makers ? Is that a good idea ?

Please can someone advise as to a suitable combination to suit my camera.

As to my budget, 175 - 200 to buy both bits.

Thanks

Images

Manfrotto and Giotto are 2 well known and good quality makes.
    Not sure about Gitotto but Manfrotto has a buying guide on their site where you click on what you may use the tripod with camera weight then it suggests tripods and heads.
    When you get a few suggestions look in WDC buying guide for reviews or google them for reviews.
    For 175-200 you should get something very decent.
    Be careful with the cheaper options if you decide to go that route as my first tripod was a Jessops camlink, even though it was a capable tripod you couldnt chang heads and the one fixed to the tripod was a nightmare because everytime I flipped the camera into the portrait position the camera kept slipping and the lens would start pointing towards the floor, this was really irratating and annoying.
    Good Luck and let us know what you decided to go for