Hybrid View

Default Good optical zoom, quality lens & viewfinder compact digital camera

Any advice on best small, simple digital camera for daily outdoor landscape shots
    My partner has recently become disabled, housebound and depressed at his situation & poor life expectancy. We are surrounded by lovely landscape in which he can no longer walk. I walk our dogs every day and would love to be able to bring these walks/nature back home to him.
    That's all I want from a camera - no need for indoor/party shots, fancy videos, etc. just a straighforward, point and shoot, decent-quality, small digital camera (I've been looking online , but am becoming inreasingly confused!)
    I am no photographic expert and have a very basic digital camera at present. In brief, my main "wants" are:
    - a good quality lens
    - max. optical zoom
    - small, lightweight camera (suitable to fit into my pocket & light enough not to drag me down on long walks)
    - a viewfinder
    - rechargeable battery & good battery life (not a battery-eating camera)

ANY HELP OR CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTIONS/ADVICE WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. Thanks for any help.

Images

The only real stumbling block in your requirements is a viewfinder, as the likes of the Sony HX5 or Panasonic TZ10 would be perfect otherwise. Both have a large LCD though, would that suffice? Otherwise I'd probably steer you towards a superzoom model like the Panasonic FZ38, which has an impressive optical zoom and electronic viewfinder, or a cheaper DSLR such as the Nikon D3000. Do you have a budget in mind?

Images

I would take a look at a canon g10 or g11 they can both used in full auto mode or even pasm if you feel you need more control over your pictures