Default Dslr/Compact/4 3rds ??

Evening,

Similar to a number of threads on here i'm afraid but i'm looking for a camera.....

I'm keen on the dslrs as it gives me room to improve to a more professional level of photography as i develop more myself but i want to start at an entry level but not be restricted by features or the restrictions of a lower level camera.

However, i've not completely ruled out compacts but have been put off the 4/3rds for a number of reasons.

My budget is around 350/400 which isn't an enormous amount of cash but i'm happy to go for second hand if it means i can get something that will really suit what i want.

In respect of what photos i want to take, well, everything. I'm off to the football in June, concerts are always good to have quality photos but also i'm keen on travelling and love taking landscapes but also the more down to earth unusual photos that can be taken in East London!

In the latest edition of WDC there were some really impressive photos taken with a canon 350d so i guess something like this would be my starting point (appreciate that they're a few years old now but you get the idea of what i'm after).

Thanks in advance.....

Jim

Images

I have just gone through this what shall I buy my advice is do lots of research go look at the cameras in the flesh. This could well influence your choice. dont rule out the high end compacts like the canon G11 lots of manual control but only one thing to carry around.
    I had a short list for various reasons and they were E620 the G11 and a EOS500d my choice was the new EOS550d with a kit lens 18-55 and i am very pleased with it
    hope this helps

Images

I'd have to agree with Wave and say that the EOS 550D is a superb camera, with all that you'd need to start out in photography and progress into taking full manual control of your images. I wouldn't dismiss Nikon at that level, as the D90 is excellent and pretty cheap, with the only real downside being the poor video quality.