Default Hello from a 'Newbie'

Hi folks, i'm pondering on a return to SLR photography after a break of several years, i've owned a few 35MM SLR's over the years but lost interest once the kids got into their teens!

I've owned a Konica Minolta A200 for over five years but i'm pondering on an upgrade, just don't know what to go for yet.

Images

Welcome OLD JUD.
    WoW you are going to be spoilt for choice whilst shopping for a new camera.
    Get advice on the forums if you need help with anything and good luck.

Thumbs up

Howdy Doody!

Welcome to the forum Old Jud.
    'The easiest way for your children to learn about money is for you not to have any'. - Katharine Whitehorn

Thanks for the welcome folks!

Hi there!
    In addition to the advice you'll find here on the forum we have lots of articles in our http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/advice.html section which you might want to browse through.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Atherton View Post
    Hi there!
    In addition to the advice you'll find here on the forum we have lots of articles in our http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/advice.html section which you might want to browse through.
    A belated 'Thank you' Nigel. My head is spinning at the moment from reading so many reviews on present day and discontinued DSLR's!

I'm in two minds about buying new or getting a high spec' older model secondhand.
    I'm more concerned with out and out image quality, not too bothered about recording video, i've revised my budget to the 700 - 800 mark.

Do i buy a Canon EOS 1000D body and go for a decent lens in the 17mm - 85mm range or the 18mm - 200mm? or do i go for a EOS 450 body (Secondhand with 18-55 IS lens)?

Then there is the Nikon 5000 body plus lens, or do i go for an old Nikon D80 plus lens?........HELP!!!!