Default New Sony NEX system

What's the consensus on the new http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/new...m-preview.html?

Will it give Olympus, Panasonic and Samsung cause for concern? Is it too small and/or too ugly, as some have said? Does that matter if it delivers DSLR image quality? Do you have any interest whatsoever in buying such a camera?

Images

I don't know too much about this camera but from the link you provided it just looks like another but more powerful compact with lots of features.

This comes from a previous owner of the Fujifinepix S602 (another very capable camera for its time)

Does it feel like a DSLR?
    I doubt it, theres nothing like holding a good sized and good quality DSLR in your hands.

Compacts have been coming out for years where every time they catch up with DSLR's with megapixels but fail to grab the DSLR community except as something you can keep in your top pocket for convenience.

Also no viewfinder whats that about, I would rather have a viewfinder than a preview screen anyday.
    In years to come we will evolve into a race of long outstretched armed zombies all walking around dribbling and holding our little compacts at arms length whilst moaning and trying to not bump into each other.

Thers something about a DSLR that makes you look and feel more confident whilst slowing you down and composing yourself and the picture with a little more thought, and i'm not saying my longer lens is a substitue for anything either

DSLR all the way for me

At least with Oly/Panny MFT and Samsung NX the camera bodies and lenses are in proportion and look designed to match each other. As bizarre in concept as the Ricoh GXR is, at least it looks balanced.
    While I have yet to see or handle one of these NEX's 'live', the combination just looks odd, and indeed wrong. With the longer lenses the whole thing looks unbalanced and doesn't suggest it is suited to comfortable and extended handling over what I would consider a day's normal shooting.

Images

Wink ISO is quite huge

I don't know much about the NEX5 or 3 but it has released with the huge range of ISO. As far as i know, it supports ISO 12800. Maybe it is strong in dark. BTW, it starts pre-oder. I expecting it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    At least with Oly/Panny MFT and Samsung NX the camera bodies and lenses are in proportion and look designed to match each other. As bizarre in concept as the Ricoh GXR is, at least it looks balanced.
    While I have yet to see or handle one of these NEX's 'live', the combination just looks odd, and indeed wrong. With the longer lenses the whole thing looks unbalanced and doesn't suggest it is suited to comfortable and extended handling over what I would consider a day's normal shooting.

I rather like that look about it - a lens with a screen on the back.

Can you put a Minolta 200mm f/4 macro on one? (not that I have one but I like trying to think up excuses to get one)

Thumbs up

Two characters - 3D. It will sell. A lot.
    I dont think they actually look half bad, the lenses look real nice aswell, and with the alpha mount adapter even pros looking to be a bit more inconspicuous can carry around a small camera with a nice zeiss lens on the front, and with an aps-c sensor, low light performance should be better than all the other hybrids bar the samsung nx-10...
    Honestly I think it will kick the living daylights out of the competition

Images

Default NEX is too small

NEX is going to rock in Hybrid line for sure. But someone said it is too small. Althogh it loaded with widescreen, is it work well in bright ? I usually look at display but sometimes shot through a viewfinder. Pros about it is Handy and light but i disappointed that it removes the viewfinder.

Images

Wink NEX not so small

I don't think the NEX range threaten MFT, with lenses attached they're no smaller than the GF-1 or E-P1. I prefer a go-anywhere compact rangefinder with integrated lens, and can accept the smaller sensor size it uses.

My Canon G7 fits my pocket, shoots RAW, has an optical viewfinder and accepts filters and lenses for increased flexibility. I'd prefer Canon fit a faster lens (f2 like the G6) than join the rush to separate optics and viewfinders!