Default 550D or D90? Please help...

Hi all

Iím looking to buy my first DSLR camera to pursue my photography as a hobby more seriously. Mid to long term I would like to go even further with it if possible.

I enjoy portrait photos and also sports (including low light photos for both), and after doing my research I thought I had settled on Canon, with the 550D a good starter body. The lenses I was looking at to go with it were: EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM and the 70-200mm f4 L USM.

However after reading a couple of comparison reviews who both rated the Nikon D90 as a better camera, I am now not sure.

My choice for going with canon were primarily for what looks like a better selection of lenses and also a better secondary market with wider choices of good quality lenses at a more affordable price over the Nikon, which would let me trade up on the body with increased experience, but keep the decent lenses that I buy at the outset.

It seems however that the D90 has a faster burst rate than the 550D and I also read that the Nikon deals with low light better than Canon? Other considerations are shooting in RAW format so that I can learn from the outset post production techniques.

My question is really two fold Ė which is the better model for what I am looking to do right now as an starting point, and probably more importantly which brand will be best in the long run when I can improve the body as I gain more experience? As I am building my camera system from scratch, I really want to make sure that I get my selection right now so that I donít have to trade over later. If anyone has used both these cameras or systems and can offer some guidance it would be really appreciated, Iím struggling.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Default DSLR choice

Hi,

I guess I can't give you the comparison lowdown, since I am a Canon person (10D shelved, 30D backup and 7D main, SX1 for HDvideo). Aside from that, the difference between the two brands are mainly semantics, cosmetics and personal preference. A few details here and there...

If you are intent on becoming more "professional" I would recommend looking into the semi-pro bodys like the Canon 50D or even 7D, or similar Nikon offerings (D300?) Same lenses and accessories, sturdier bodies and easier to use manual controls.

Good luck!

Images

After using both models on a number of occassions I wouldn't say the D90 is any better at working in low light. In fact I'd say the EOS 550D is marginally better on that front. What sort of budget do you have?

Both are pretty similar in terms of choice of lenses, and have a fairly equal amount of third parties making optics for them as well. If you're starting from stratch I'd be sure to handle them both, as the button layout and functionality differs slightly. I personally prefer Canon, but many of my colleagues prefer Nikon, it often comes down purely to the person using it.

We're expecting Nikon to announce a new DSLR to replace the D90 soon, so it might be worth you waiting if you can to see if the features better suit your needs.

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks both of you for the feedback.

I have handled both and to be honest the Nikon did feel better in my hand, if i go for the Nikon i'll probably go for a second hand one before trading up.

General consensus is that both systems are pretty much on par, just depends on who you talk to and again, personal preference.

I'm going to get back down the shops and see what the semi pro models feel like, as they are the ones which i aspire to use, and in the long run if buy the right lenses, will have for the majority of the time.

Matt - i have tried to find out when the new Nikon will be out but cant find any details, do you have any ideas?

Thanks again.

Tom

Images

To be honest we're as in the dark as you at the moment, with just rumours and possibilities to go on. We often don't know about the launch till a few days before hand, and are then sworn to secrecy for a day or two afterwards. Experience tells me it'll be here pretty soon though, but the D90 is such a good price at the moment I'd be hard pressed to recommend something which is nothing more than heresay and conjecture over it.