Hi all

Iím looking to buy my first DSLR camera to pursue my photography as a hobby more seriously. Mid to long term I would like to go even further with it if possible.

I enjoy portrait photos and also sports (including low light photos for both), and after doing my research I thought I had settled on Canon, with the 550D a good starter body. The lenses I was looking at to go with it were: EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM and the 70-200mm f4 L USM.

However after reading a couple of comparison reviews who both rated the Nikon D90 as a better camera, I am now not sure.

My choice for going with canon were primarily for what looks like a better selection of lenses and also a better secondary market with wider choices of good quality lenses at a more affordable price over the Nikon, which would let me trade up on the body with increased experience, but keep the decent lenses that I buy at the outset.

It seems however that the D90 has a faster burst rate than the 550D and I also read that the Nikon deals with low light better than Canon? Other considerations are shooting in RAW format so that I can learn from the outset post production techniques.

My question is really two fold Ė which is the better model for what I am looking to do right now as an starting point, and probably more importantly which brand will be best in the long run when I can improve the body as I gain more experience? As I am building my camera system from scratch, I really want to make sure that I get my selection right now so that I donít have to trade over later. If anyone has used both these cameras or systems and can offer some guidance it would be really appreciated, Iím struggling.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!