I'm a photgraphy enthusiast and have had various digital compacts, the last a Nikon Coolpix about 6 years ago and more recently a Panasonic Lumix DMC FX3, and now fancy something more up with the times! I also have an Nikon D90 SLR but it's not digital and to be honest I haven't used it for a long while purely because I find it a bit bulky to cart around just to have to hand for an opportunist shot.

I am far from being a camera/photography techno or expert but nevertheless I would like a reasonable camera. I am looking a something which produces good quality results with, if possible HD video functionality. I don't propose running long videos but just opportunist short minute or two bursts. I would like the ability to use some manual control but I expect to use it much of the time on auto.

i have been looking at some of the bridge and micros cameras as I would like something quite portable about coat pocket size. I don't want to sacrifice too much size for quality.I haven't got a massive budget but am prepared to go to about 350-400.

I have shortlisted Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ38 and the Canon Power Shot either G10 or G11.

I need some feedback by more experienced users before I commit. I hope to be having a play with these at the weekend.

I would welcome any guidance and help